Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Question of building a fish house.

I'm planning a fishhouse. Frame is 6.5 X 14, going to put 3/4 treated plywood for floor and probably use 2x2 treated lumber for walls. Question is, what is the best way to fasten the floor boards to the frame, also best way to fasten walls to floorboard/frame?

My best guess would be to drill holes through the frame and bolt floor boards in the middle sections of the frame making sure heads of bolts are embedded so they don't cut through the carpet. Then drill holes through the wall base(would it be the sill??), floor boards, and frame and bolt all the way through the walls/floor/frame to hold it all together.

Trying to get all the details taken care of before the actual task so this may be the first of many questions. I've read the entire thread on "Building A Crank-up Style Fishhouse" which has been regular encyclopedia of information too.

Sorry cant think of the name of the fastener off hand but its got a 3/4" wide, flat head.(not a carriage bolt) You can get it as a bolt or self taping screw. You counted sink your hole and this head will sit flush to the floor. You wont find it at Menard's so go to a shop that specializes in fasteners. Not only should you fasten the floor down you should also fasten the walls to the frame. Go through the bottom plate and into the frame. L brackets on each stud to the bottom plate is cheap insurance too.

I have one other suggestion, in the floor I'd use 1/2" plywood, then add 1" dense styrofoam, then top it off iwth 3/8" plywood, kinda like a sandwich. You won't believe the difference in how warm the house is near the floor.

Ole

I would definitely insulate the floor!
I didn't,now i'm under the floor cutting insulation too fit cuz the floor was so Da** cold.It would be lots easer now!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

scroll down to ice fishing main form.
lots of good info.
weld threaded studs to frame for fasting floor and bottom plate. weld angle iron 1 1/2" down from top of frame then set rigid insullation on angle lip then plywood top of frame
(less lbs & $$) also good idea if you want your investment to last is to coat frame with brush on truck bed liner coating.

you can also build the house leave the outside off and have someone spray the expandable foam then put the siding on. thats how i am doing my new house. one layer of plywood on the floor and they will spray from the bottom up. should be very light house. i am trying alot of new things on this one, one of these houses i will get right.

Ole is right the floor in my house is 1/2" Green Treated 1/2" foam 1/2" green treated on top again. Make sure to go with treated plywood for the floor because no matter how hard you try the floor always gets wet. That foam makes a heck of a difference. Good luck anymore questions go ahead and ask we are here for help.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Hawkeye - Who is doing the spraying of the insulation for you? And how much is that going to run to have it done? I have always thought that would be the best solution for insulating one of these things!
Camo

Thanks for all the responses.

I've thought about the angle iron idea, laying the insulation right between all the frame posts but what about rodents?

I would think that would be a perfect place for rodents to "dig in" and make their homes. I've heard of designs similar to this where the insullation boards are left open to the elements on the bottom of the house. Anyone have luck with this type of design? I would think that if the rodents didn't get it, road hazards (ice heaves, rocks, other) would chip away at it over the years.

Heat rises - cold sinks, how necessary is it to really have an insullated floor? I'm guessing it would add another $200 minimum. I'd be interested in hearing arguments on both sides of that before throwing another $200 at it. How much of a savings in propane would it be for a weekend user over a season??

tanseys, you answered your question yourself, heat rises and cold sinks. Colder air on the floor PLUS sitting on top of ice. Your body's gonna be closer to the floor when in the house. You won't be sorry insulating the floor.

tanseys
Besides the comfort factor you will also notice that your house don't melt in at all!(at least mine don't, but its never in one spot for more than a week) and the gas saving is realistic!
On the wall thing i put foam board between the studs and cut the foam a little smaller that the opening then i sprayed that foam sealant in the gap all the way around.that way when it expanded there was no way that there was a draft crack and it bonds too the studs like glue and it only took about 9 or 10 cans for a 7x14 house.or about $30
good luck

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)