• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping fish on Silver before TA question

You can keep em Lee if you want I am just trying to get a feel for the lake. Got plenty of walleye fillets to eat still yet. No Silver will be catch and release maybe a couple of CPR's but back they'll go. How's things with your partner?

Tim, I talked to my buddy and he sounds about 75% sure he wants to do it. But we want to go and fish it a couple of times before. I'm not going to be able to get any kind of fish finder for the TA and was was wondering in your honest opinion would it be a waste of my time without it. I know if I get a map in my hand and get a chance to fish it at least 2-3 times I will be able to find some fish but I know how hard it can be when those fish move and you need the eyes (sonar) to help you relocate them. How can I get a map of the lake?

Lee,

Any perch over 9" that I catch from Silver in deep water is seeing the frying pan. I ran out of fillets from last year, so I have to feed the family. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Don't get me wrong (I am in the TA with CNY Tim as my partner) but I believe that when you catch perch from, lets say 30 feet plus, they die anyway when you try to put them back. The ones smaller than 9" go back, but who knows if they make it. Some guys say to "pop" their diaphram, but I don't know for a fact if they survive after that.

Gills' on the other hand, will more than likely go back when I am fishing shallow water.

What are you going to do? confused.gif

Lee - Hey I met your TA partner on Tully today. Nice fella he is. Lee I know you guys can find the gills and even if you find the perch there going to be tough to catch. Look I'm going to this TA with the thought of doing the best I can regardless where I place it's going to be fun and a well needed vacation for me on the ice. There's weed beds in the north end and south end of the lake that's all you'll need for the gills and perch. You can catch perch in the weeds too I have done it before on Caz and Tully. You will have agreat time and Friday Night there having a seminar type deal with all the goods. Your partner's pumped so go for it...

Lee, I'll be fishing the TA with my partner. We each have Marcums, but you are welcome to use my old LCD that will help a lot. I can give you a quick run through on how to use it and what you see and you should be all set for depth, seeing fish, your lure and watching them come up to bite!

Thanks Frank, I might just take you up on that offer. I'm thinking about going to Silver this weekend if anyone is up for it? I'm not a real talkative kind of guy on the ice, I'm a real run and gun fishermen but when I do find them I will let you know I'm getting them.

LX-3's let see.. I have one, my son has one and all my good friends have one. And your next ok, well not next CNY Rob is. His LX-3 came in today with my LXi. The LXi performance pack is a hand held depth finder/fish locator (shaped like a flashlight). It's pretty cool and came in the Performance Pack. It has some neat features too. 12 deg. cone, shoots through ice, hull of an aluminum boat, raft etc... Come's with a belt clip storage pack, battery and one year warranty. What I like is the fact I can check depth's without using my LX-3. It's much more compact and light.

Carry a bottle of water splash it on the ice and push the on button. It shows you the depth 1st in an LCD read out and it will beep if there are fish. Then when it marks fish it will flash you the depth 7 times to let you know exactly at what depth the fish are at. So if your at 39' depth and there are crapppies at 32' it will first flash the 39' depth and then it will beep to let you know fish are present and it will flash 7 times at what depth the crappies are at without even drilling a hole. Pretty cool eh? WIth all this black ice and no snow on top it will come in handy especially early ice. The battery lasts up to 20 hours continuously so it should last several years.

I like that "The patch is an old fishing wound" that's a good one Lee. Frank - Lee is a very good fisherman one of the best I have seen without a flasher. He maybe a little rusty after only 3 trips last season. Heck Lee now that I think about it maybe you better get that LX-3 after all... LOL