• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wiring a new lund boat

Question

We had a mishap with our boat - I think my brother crossed the lines when he put a charge on the starting battery. The ground wire from the gas tank burned all of the plastic covering off and melted some of the other wires. We are getting the schematics on the boat for the rewiring, but need some pro inputs on what to watch out for. It is a new 2003 Lund Angler. Lund won't cover under the warranty.

6 answers to this question

Brrrr, I am glad nothing happened, a short on fuel tank is not something to take lightly..... If you need a wiring harness, I have 1 from I believe a Lund Pro-V, and some others from other mfg.
It will be a little mess to replace it, but if you want it make me any offer, I'll be glad to help.

I agree with Chris. That sounds like too much damage for what you said happen. And, you think or know for sure he hooed it up backwards? I'd go to the another dealer.

In the past, I had it explained to me that the polarity can be reversed in a battery in a way that made complete sense from a person who knows the field .. I am not that person, nor would I make an attempt to explain how it works.

From the sounds of the outcome, it sounds to me exactly what happens when a main ground comes in contact with a hot(positive) wire. With direct Positive current to the main ground, everything grounded will short out and have a melt down.... enough heat can be generated to melt into other wires, harnesses.. or anything not capable of withstanding extreme heat.

It should not be that difficult to replace most of the wiring in that boat, although it will be time consuming. The only part that will likely prove difficult will be the motor.. hopefully it did not cause any damage other than the wiring. Your electronics are very sensitive, and only fused on the hot wire .. so the outcome could be anything.

If your boat is insured, it should be covered. It is possible warranty could cover it.

Good Luck

Looked it over and took things apart this weekend. Not as bad as I thought - Only the ground wire to the gas tank and one other wire and the livewell line. Motor and harness wasn't touched - yeahhh. Lund wouldn't cover it at all because they say it isn't their fault. Hope to get it into the water by Wednesday so we can test. We got lucky this time - thanks for the posts.