• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

don't shake the boat...... are your rotors shot?

clam up

Question

Can anyone give me some advise on any aftermarket front end brake rotors for my '99 Grand Cherokee? I have found some on the internet but thought I would ask around. I'm interested in slotted/drilled heavy duty rotors. Gotta get this taken care of so I don't shimmy the boat right off the trailer. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Mopar. I wonder if they ever will get the brake thing down.

I have a 2000 Dakota and for some lucky reason I have 75,000 on the original rotors and they are just starting to shimmy (only between 45 and 38 mph though) Wierd...

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

clam up:

Don't mean to be stupid, but are you sure your rotors need replacing?

Four years old is pretty young for replacing rotors. Either you have a sh**load of miles on the vehicle, your pads were let go too long and chewed up your rotors, or someone put on those darn "lifetime guarantee brake pads" that are a zillion times harder than the rotors and cut them to bits.

Rotors cost money, man! Are you sure you can't get them cut one more time? Don't mean to offend if you know your onions, but some shops will simply say "replace the suckers," while others will take a closer look and realize that there's enough material on the rotor to keep 'er going for another round.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 08-06-2003).]

Jeep is notorious (sp?) for warping the rotors. It does not take that many miles if stopping heavy loads, or frequently braking from high speeds.

Call around to different auto parts stores and see who carries performance line rotors for your Jeep... Mine cost me about $120 each, but they work great and have outlasted the rest... If you have drum in the rear be sure to keep up on them also... great vehicles other than the factory brakes.

Unfortunately, I dont remember where I bought them at the time.

thanks for all the input.

catfish - I've only had this vehicle for a little less than a year and it had new pads and front rotors (stock replacements of course)installed at the time of purchase. I've owned quite a few vehicles already and it sure doesn't seem like they should be shot already. I've done enough research and have come to the conclusion that new rotors are worth a shot. I believe that if they warped at factory thickness, turning them down would just be a temporary band aid. Plus, future warpage problems could give the calipers a massage that could ruin them as well.

Fisher Dave - I agree, it looks to me that Jeeps have had quite a problem with this issue. I hope that this may cure it, but there are no guarantees.

If your rotors are warped you'll feel a surge of pulsing while braking. Not to be confused with the ABS pulse. Jeep may have a problem with their rotors but warped rotors are usually caused by heat.
Hard stops and stops with trailers will do it. Oh and that Twin City Driving too. smile.gif I've had warped rotors and haven't experienced shimmy from them. Its usually from the tires being out of round or unbalanced. I think before replacing the rotors I'd have them turned. If they're warped bad then the technician will let you know.