• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcast reel winds on the left side

EBass

Question

You know how the guide moves the line left to right? Well my line just started to get stuck on the left side when reeling. Then the line bunches up and doesn't cast for dump now.

It's a cheapo Quantum Icon, but has served me pretty well over the past year. Is this reel shot, can it be fixed for cheap, or just get a good reel and stop complaing?

Anyone have or heard of this and might know how to fix it?

Stumped,
EBass

14 answers to this question

Do you mean a Quantum Iron, not Icon?

I had an Iron one time, but the assembly you're talking about was plastic on mine, and it got cracked first day out, so I took it back and got another Ambassadeur 5500. grin.gif

If the spiral track the line guide moves along is stripped, it'll never work right, and you'd need to find the part and replace it. Same if the base of the line guide, where it lays in the spiral track, is broken or worn out.

But all my baitcasters have a screw on the bottom of the line guide that holds it tight to the spiral track. If that screw is loose the guide won't track back and forth, so you might check that.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 08-05-2003).]

it could be the the pal(?) is bad, this is a little fork pc that sits inside your level wind to track the gear. if this is bad the level wind will hang up or stick. it sits under the screw. del

Yep had the same thing happen to my ambassaduer C3 last year. It will just wear out after a while if you cast alot. I cant remember what it is called but I think it is like what delmuts said. Easy to replace also.

------------------
Fish ON!

Thanks for all the replies. (How ya doing Steve?)

Amazingly it fixed it's self. I did look at that screw on the bottom and that was tight. I took off the cover and gave hre a few spins of the reel, then put it back on. Didn't seem to do anything.

I said F-it as I wanted to use my cranks still. And it got back on track after a few casts.

HOWEVER (when it rains it pours) I have a gander mt open face. The anti reverse slips. I was fighting an 18.5" bass on Sunday and needed to take my hand off the reel to move the trolling motor. Then my reel started to back reel like crazy when the back reel wasn't engaged! What the heck?

I need new equipment.

My Ambassadeur 5500 C3 was doing the same thing. It needed a new spiral track and the part that sits into that, the pawl. Both were wore out from all the casting. My hubby went to a tackle store in Anoka and got the parts I needed and I fixed it right up. Works like brand new again. It really only looked like the pawl was worn but the guy at the store told the hubby it is wise to replace both. Fine with me, it was an inexepensive fix for a great reel.

--------------

Fishn'Lady

I get river grime/sand/buggers/bait & stuff in my reels all the time and the same deal happens.

Many reels have a spring behind the pin thingy and it gets buggered up then the pin sticks. Or the groves in the spiral get dirty and the pin jumps because it can not ride the grove. A single grain of sand in the spiral can kick out the pin and then you see the line pile on the spool.

Try cleaning the spiral groves with a shot of WD-40 and a cue tip, or use somebody else's tooth brush. wink.gif Once it's clean Re-oil the whole deal and if the pin is not worn it should behave itself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you need service you can give them a call at 1-800-ABU-GARCIA (800-228-4272).

Service Centers.

Tackle Plus of Minnesota
332 East Lake St.
Minneapolis, MN 55408
(612) 827-4031

Bob's Rod & Reel
1949 Winnebago St.
Madison, WI 53704
(608) 249-9392

Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair
2300 E. Turner, Suite M
Springfield, MO 65803
(417) 873-5274

Paul’s Bait & Tackle
4421 Chippewa Street
St. Louis, MO 63116
(314)773-6221

Nationwide
Abu Garcia Factory Service

1900 18th Street
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
(800) 228-4272

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 08-07-2003).]

EBass,

I think that's where he went. Right on HWY 10 just on the outer edge of Anoka. He has gotten me parts there before, even though they are not listed as an ABU GARCIA service or parts distributor. I forgot to ask him, I will try and remember and get back to you.

---------

Fishn'Lady