• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Twist

Question

I've been fishing for the better part of 25 years and it seems like lately I've been experiencing an enormous amount of line twist. I religiously stretch my line to remove twist but It seems like the line twists up after a dozen casts...I fish jigs a lot and twisting is expected but ****...I surmise it is partially due to the new lines (P-line, Stren extra tough, etc) but does anyone else get this...I know that putting the line on correctly is the first priority. But the new extra tough lines seem to kink up right away. Additionally is there a better way to adjust you line than dragging it behind the boat???That is what I've always done. I feel like a rookie but it drives me crazy...and with good line going for $10+/spool it gets expensive to respool frequently

15 answers to this question

Uhm....I suspect if this is something new it may be in the way you spooled up the last couple spools. If the line wants to twist when spooling its going to twist when it comes off the spool while fishing.

Troll your line behind the boat for a short distance with nothing attatched.. this should remove all your twist. If you dont have a boat have someone run your line out a ways and drop it .. grab your line firmly before the reel as your reeling it in, this will remove the twist also .. sometimes has to be done a couple times when no tin the water.

When spooling your line watch closely for twisting (let line og slack for a second and see if it twist) if your getting twist turn the spool over and that should stop the twist.

If your using spinning equipment it might be a sticky line roller causing the problem. Very high speed (6/1+) retrieve spinning reels tend to twist the line also.

Stretching your line will do nothing if it is already twisted... you have to get the twist out 1st. Some superlines are more prone for *twist* because they are stiff.

[This message has been edited by Fisher Dave (edited 07-18-2003).]

Fisher Dave: Thank you for the input...You guys have very useful tips. I usually troll the line (nothing attached) at the outset of every "excursion" but I think it is likely the line going on twisted...I use oversize reels on some of my poles and they are all high ratio outfits...I didn't know that the high ratio may cause twist...I have also been experimenting with several line brands so they may fill the spools differently. I've got some new tips for trying to correct this problem. Thank you

For anyone who doesn't have access to a boat, try this -

Tie a snap-swivel onto the line, and put a little piece of line through a slip-bobber and tie it into a loop at both ends. clip one loop to snap-swivel. Now snaglessly weight the other end of the loop enough to almost sink the slip-bobber, leaving just the stem sticking up.

Find big long stretch of creek or river that you can get out onto, into or above. Drop the bobber in and let the current spool ya. Reel it all back in through a piece of paper towel so you don't get a big soggy wad on your spool.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Even if your spooling your reel the correct way you will get some line twist.
Reason way is because your reels spool isn't the same circumference as the line spool. This usually isn't a big problem however. Jigs will twist your line when fished vertical so a leader with a swivel is needed. As others have said drag your line behind the boat. Pointing to the back of the boat and dropping the rod tip, pinching the line between your finger and thumb while reeling to help the line straighting out. Stiff line with memory will coil and spiral when dropped making line twist even more of a problem.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 07-18-2003).]

I agree with Bigdog soak it in warm water for at least a couple hours before you spool the line. And then when spooling leave the spool in the water and it will come off the spool straight

Bronze are you possibly catching so many fish that your drag is what's going on? I know when you wind against the drag , this will twist the line . I saw a tip on the pro's corner on some news show that if you reel to close the bail this will also cause twist.He recommended that you manually close the bail each time to prevent line twist. I do like the warm water trick. I like to buy line in big spools figuring I'm not going to die anytime soon and I'll be buying another in a year or two.Metro

[This message has been edited by metro 1 (edited 07-19-2003).]

I have less line twist when spooling spinning reels from bulk spools, which have larger diameters than the regular-sized ones.

Also, check as you're spooling if you're getting a lot of twist. If you are, flip the plastic spool over and try it that way. Often, that'll take care of the problem. If it twists in both cases, I spool a little, then flip, spool a little, then flip again, and keep doing that. Not sure, but it seems to me doing it that way reverses the twist.

At any rate, I'm also a troll-it-behind the boat guy. The other way to do it that looks a little odd to the neighbors is to take the newly spooled rod/reel outside and feed line as you're waking down the lawn or sidewalk or park. Then, when you're spooled, start reeling in, keeping your fingers pinched on the line above the reel to keep tension on it. As the line bounces against the sidewalk and grass it untwists. That's a lot of help for shore folks who don't have access to a boat.

most of line twist is from spinners and there like. so I decided to start tying my own spinner rigs, and the major component is a ball bearing barrel swivel. since I switched to this I had no problems with line twist, UNTILL I put on flouricarbon line. WOW this stuff likes to twist up, and stay twisted up. I like the line, but I think you would have to change this line a couple times per year. this stuff twists and has some searous memory. I am going back to some trilene XL, that seems to be about the best. try that, and like I said, use the high doller ball swivels.

P-line does add a little line twist but the stuff is really tough. Make sure the line is going on your spool as it comes off the spool of new line. Here's another tip. Tie the line to a tree and walk 100 feet back and stretch the line good... then walk back reeling the line back into your reel. Good Luck.

wgmsa
www.fishfever.com