Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wayner

Cracked Transom?

3 posts in this topic

I think my transom may have some potentially serious cracks in it directly below the motor mount bracket! It is an old fiberglass boat with a 70 hp motor. How do I save it? The boat is taking on water and It may very well be from those cracks. I haven't located any other leaks. I have a transom saver mounted to the trailer and have had this on all along. Anyone?

Pretty hard tellin without seeing the boat but it should be fixable. Got pictures?

Well, being a glass owner and reading alot about it, lets start with ye olde screwdriver test. Find a pressure crack in the glass and drill a 1'4 hole in the transom NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Get that small screwdriver and poke around a bit. You'll know if it's compromised. From there you better go to iBoats site and search for replacing transoms in the project boats threads. Them boys know their stuff about cutting out glass and all. Luckily, mine is still solid.

chunky