Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Get the lead out

2 posts in this topic

Just a reminder to Spikes earlier posting about the swap of lead tackle for a non-toxic metal.
For the East Metro gang.

Maplewood: July 2 (Today) (2pm - 7pm)Gander Mountain (1747 Beam Avenue East)

St. Paul: July 16-17 (3pm - 6pm) Joe's Sporting Goods (935 N Dale Street)

Woodbury: August 8 (2pm - 7pm) Gander Mountain (7150 Valley Creek Plaza)

Now that many of you are trying out non-lead alternatives, I would like to jump start some discussions on their effectiveness and ease of use.

I've had mixed success with the tin split shot. You can crimp them on by hand, but you can't get them as tight as lead split shot, so I've lost a few. However, I've lost many lead split shot also over the years and I'd much rather lose tin that way than polluting the lake with lead. I've heard the best bet is to use your needle nose to fasten them better. Anyone else had success that way?

I've had great success with steel or brass bullet sinkers. Due to the additional noise attraction, one could argue they are even more effective than lead.

There are a couple of walking sinker non-lead alternatives out there now. Anyone try them yet?

How about jigs? Anyone try tin or bismuth yet?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I normally don't get defensive, or "butt-hurt" as the kids like to say (although I sure wish they'd stop ), so apologies for coming off that way. I think we're pretty much on the same page here--our defense is the reason for our success to date.I still have a touch higher hope for Sam's ceiling, perhaps, but I guess time will tell...   I think at his best, Bradford can make some "wow" throws like the one to Diggs against GB in the back of the end-zone...and find guys in stride like Thielen against the Texans...he can be efficient, move the chains, and limit mistakes. At his worst? Well, we've all seen plenty of that from his time with the Rams. I'd settle for "game manager with occasional good throw to keep a drive alive." I whole-heartedly agree that we need our D to be top notch (as it's been) and we can't turn the ball over. To get out of the first round, however, we will need to see some kind of a pulse from this offense. You can win with a great D if you have either a good running game or a serviceable passing game, but not without one or the other to help score a few points. Here's hoping we figure something out!
    • Nobody jumped any ship. Some just call it as they see it and as shown above, a certain poster had enough butthurt to wait several years to try and throw a zinger only to have it blow up in his face.   My guess it goes back to a time when he was either saying Ponder was our future Franchise QB or was defending Wilf when he was indicted and he got called out on it.
    • I'm not really a Packer fan but.......    
    • Mine came in last night grunting about 15 minutes after I had rattled and grunted. 
    • My yearly question. Anybody ever find a hard plastic tank cover for dual 40# propane tanks?
    • It was more of a loss than a win.
    • Bear55, you do know that Michael Moore does not support Trump and is laughing at folks who are spreading this clip as fact, right?
    • Why do people whine so much about party hunting? If I allow someone else to fill my tag and effectively end my hunt and extend his or hers, what's it to you? A tag is being filled, doesn't much matter who is filling it. The tag was purchased, money was given to the DNR for it. Why would you rather see it go unfilled?   Some people still believe in the spirit of cooperation. People today are so self-centered.    I wish more "sports-men and women" would think about where and why the sport of hunting originated.
  • Our Sponsors