• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

reel bottom chip

mtreno

Question

5 answers to this question

nevermind i just missed it when i was lookin the other night. must of had to many adult pops before i checked good old fishing minnesota.com...... still would like to know how poeple are liking the maps out on the water. cant wait to see it this weekend on mille lacs - no more running into spirit island at 1am for me!
p.s. - sure is funny how much time i spend talking to myself on this site!

[This message has been edited by mtreno (edited 07-01-2003).]

Hello Mtreno,

I purchased the MMC chip with 1' contours of Mlacs, Leech, Gull and WhBear on opening weekend.

Overall, I think the map is terrific. The idea of having a paperless map is a big plus. I especially like the fact that I can run my cursor crosshairs to a particular spot and punch in a waypoint and go. This is extremely nice when locating tips of flats or small humps in the lake. The accuracy is pretty good, although I have found some areas to be slightly off.

The key thing to know about the chip is that it only zooms down to .33mile per screen by default. To zoom down further, you must download a packet(s), via MMC reader, from Lowrance.

The necessary packets are version 2.5 and 2.9. Check your unit to see the current version installed. If your unit idicates any version lower than 2.5, you must install 2.5 first, then 2.9. You MUST load packets in succession, or else you will experience problems with the overall settings on your lowrance!

After these packets are installed onto your lowrance, you will have the capabilities to "resize" your split screen window (sonar/gps). The smaller you make your gps screen, in comparison to the sonar, will allow you to zoom down to a .08mile/screen setting. This is the closest you can zoom in when using the Reelbottom MMC map. It does not allow you to zoom down to .05mile/screen like your lowrance unit will achieve, when not using this map.

The chip is pricey, but if you fish these lakes alot, they are highly worth the $199 pricetag.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-02-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

For those who would like an answer to mtreno's question, you can get all the Reelbottom, ProMap Series and LakeMaster maps (CD-Rom, MMC Chips, & Teslin Paper maps) at:

Minnesota-Lake-Maps.com

fathead -
thanks for the info. here is the deal. i am about as good at using a computer as my dog is (by the way she turned 1 yr old today). in other words i am going to need help doing this. where do i look to see if my unit is 2.5? how do i download this new info to my x-19? is this thru the mmc chip? how do i save info on one of these chips? i have a blank chip and hopefully my reel bottom chip is sitting at home waiting for me. could you or anybody for that matter walk me thru how i get this done?

[email protected]

mtreno- I have the reel bottom chip as well and will say that it has been very nice to have for Mille Lacs. At 200 bucks it is well worth the money if you fish Mille Lacs much. The contours are off a little bit in many places(may be as much as a few hundred feet), but still a huge help. Also the depths are almost always 2-4 feet off somtimes more, but I don't really use it for that. It is excellent at finding sharp breaklines and points and curves. Now if those walleye would just bite!