• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Troll Plate???

Johnsonator

Question

I have a 150 hp Evinrude and want to slow down my trolling speeds. I am interested in the happy troller and the trol-a-matic troll plates. Anybody used these before? How much can I expect it to slow me down. My slowest speed now is about 1.7 mph. thanks

3 answers to this question

How bout using a drift sock? Will slow you down a bunch, and won't hurt your performance when you want to get up and go. Good luck, Junky..........

------------------
Definition of a fishing guide: A fishing guide is just a fishing junky who takes others with him to support his habit.

A trolling plate should roughly cut your speed in half. They will not affect the performance of your boat (getting on plane, top speed, etc). In fact, they will act somewhat like a hydrafoil when cruising at high speeds.

I would use a drift sock but I don't like using one while trolling shads at night. Hard to see and I don't really want to fight snagging the dang thing. Anybody use the trol-a-matic. It is spring loaded so you never have to drop it or forget it and take off.