• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pinpoint Trolling Motor Issue

Iceman77

Question

I just purchased a used boat last week that had Pinpoint 7520 graphs and a 2700SX Pinpoint trolling motor, which was supposedly brand new out of the box. I tried out the motor on the lake and found the dealer had it wired up for 12 volts so I re-wired it for 24 volts and the motor would rev up to full power and just keep rotating in circles. I had no control of the motor through the foot pedal for speed control or rotation. I am currently working with the dealer to get this straightened out since it didn't work from the floor. For people that had the upper board burn out is this what happened to you? Are there members on this board that had good results with their pinpoint motor? If yes how many hours do you have on the motor? If no, how many hours did you have on the motor before it failed?

Thanks for the help.

15 answers to this question

I got a 2700 for free so I have been using it once in a while. One bad thing with pinpoints is that the depth line must very shape. Do not use on a sloping edge or you will go around in a circle. I was on Winne last year and it was very choppy. The pinpoint has a problem now (it won't work). I should not have taken it out on the boat that but I would think it would stand up to the condition better. Now I am trying to decide if I should repair or just get another motor.

I have one. Had problems last year with it. Dealer said it was slightly used it worked for about 3 months. Not worth the bucks it cost me. Still trying to decide if I should fix it or get a different brand.

Did you try programing the thing? You might want to try it before you take it back. Look in your manual for the t-motor. I tells you to push the front of the pedal down then push the back of the petal down then ramp the speed wheel up and then down. Look for something like that. Its worth a shot anyway.

If your trying to use the depth track and its getting lost it works better on a spot where there is a good drop. If its a real slow drop or your on a flat area the thing will run in circles.

If you try the setup and it still doesnt work take it back. I wish i could take mine back but now Im kinda stuck.
Good luck!

Thanks for the replys.

Deemo,
I did not get a manual with the trolling motor since the previous owner must've taken it out of the box. My assumption so far is the previous owner had problems with the trolling motor and shoved it back in the box before he unloaded the boat at the dealership. They stated the trolling motor was new but it had dings on the prop and various marks on the trolling motor. Is there a chance you can look up that information for me about reprogramming the motor? When I talked to a trolling motor tech. he stated that this is typical of a burned out upper board. I talked to the dealership and they are going to take the motor back and have it fixed by a pinpoint tech. I will see how long this takes.

Does anyone know where, other than vexlar company in Bloomington, I can get a pinpoint motor looked at and repaired. I would like it close to Brookln Park. Isn't there a repair place on University (It use to be on central) in Columbia Heights. I cannot remember its name.
Thanks
Ken

I have a PinPoint system 2700 TM and graph. The graph (7500) is among the best I've used (I prefer this graph over my X-15). The trolling motor on the other hand could use some improvements but is good when it's working..

It has been in the shop once and repaired in the garage another time in the 1.5 years of ownership...

Has anyone else had a problem with water? The darn thing isn't even made waterproof. We had water leak in while out fishing that really made it wacky to where it would no longer work (only out in the rain during fishing, never during storage). Had to take it apart and dry it before it would work again. The water was coming in through the directional arrow no top it appeared and it was soaked inside. That is a major flaw, the other I've seen with this unit is the wires become crossed and twist out the connections when it spins completely around in a circle.. Other than these obvious major faults, it is a great trolling motor. For a $2000 system, it leaves a lot to be desired. Next one will be a Minnkota..

The two guys in front of me at Motor Clinic in Bloomington both had Pinpoints with problems. Based on the list of problems they had, I don't think I would spend the money. I have heard good things about the Motor Clinic.

Hopefully Minnkota will offer a similiar product soon.

Hey Walleyehawk

When did you drop your motor off? I might be one of the two people that are in front of you. How long did they tell you it would take to repair? I am letting my dealer take care of this one since the motor came junked. I'm hoping they can take care of the problem and it will work for awhile. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Well I was one of two people there in Motor Clinic/Vexlar at about 3:00 with a Pinpoint. If anyone has a problem with there Pinpoint and you really intend on keeping it Motor Clinic is the only place that fixes them. Now that Mercury/Motorguide owns the Pinpoint technology there is suppose to be more places to have them repaired and serviced in the future. The new Pinpoint which will hopefully relieve several of our headaches should be out in August, so maybe by next year it will be something to think about. For those of you who really don't need the hassle that these motors come with and can live without the technology I would switch to something less complicated. Hope this helps!

------------------
First Choice Guide Service
The Cass Lake Chain
no_spam.com
Phone: (612)730-no_spam

Brian,
I'd switch if I could... Anyone want to buy a Pinpoint system? grin.gif

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 07-08-2003).]