• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep frying fish

lumpy

Question

Investing in a deep fryer for frying up some fish and was wondering what oil you find best to use in them? I've always been a pan fryer before just using butter.

17 answers to this question

Peanut oil is generally the best route to go. I've found that vegetable oil seems to be okay and less expensive for fish. If you are doing any turkeys,chickens or larger game, definately go with peanut oil. For the longer cooking times the peanut oil tends to not burn like vegetable oil.

I would have to second the recommendation for peanut oil, a little higher smoking point, and better stability, probably the most economical in the long run.

I might add, once you start the deep frying you may never go back to pan frying.

Also, if you've never tried boiling fish. You should give that a try. It is often referred to as a poor man's lobster. Extremely quick and easy not to mention delicious.

BOIL?
heh, heh, ya, I guess I've heard of that before but forgot about it, maybe I'll give it a try with some northern I got in the freeze. How long do you boil it for?

P.S. let me know how you like your fryer, and what kind it is, I was thinking of getting one too, just not sure which one I should get and how much you need to spend for a decent one.

Thanks

Get one that has a basket and the big pot. Thats all you need for anything you will ever do, be it fish, turkey, grouse, pheasant. We do a lot of stuff in them

Grouse guys out there. Try marinading the grouse in Italian dressing over night, poke a few holes in the birds but leave them whole. Then coat them in your favorite batter. I use Italian and Cajun shore lunch. Drop them in the fryer at 350, for 7-9 minutes. Amazing!

when we deep fry in a big fryer; when the oil cools; we strain it by pouring it through cheese cloth into another container that has a lid. if you don't scorch it , we can use it for a whole week just by adding. we use veg oil. ( cause i'm cheap!) del

for deep frying go to your restaurant retail supply store and ask for 35lb jug of pour and fry its about 20-24 bucks and will last for a long time...in st. cloud here i just go to apperts on highway 10... highly recomend the cheesecloth method after frying everytime your grease will last a long time when doing this gets out all the particles.. if you dont get that stuff out you just burn the grease next time you use it... hope this helps out ..

Thanks for all the feedback. Actually I got a camp chef camping stove that has 2 30M BTU burners, am looking for a good deep fry pot & basket for it now and will be set. I don't think it is as powerful as the single units but more versatile. We used to have a camper with a whimpy gas stove that barely got our cast iron skillet hot enough to fry fish. It seems to get too greasy if it isn't hot enough.

I like deep fried fish as much as the next guy, but the fact of the matter is that if you eat it all the time you'll end up with a waist line that is not impressive...so I usually grill the fish I get (but nothing beats a good fish fry!)

To grill it, I usually put a piece of aluminum foil on the grill and spray it with butter flavor Pam and then put spices on the fish, like blackening spice, cajun spices, lemon pepper, seasoned salt, etc. If you haven't tried this I highly recommend it. Even if you really like fried fish (and I do, trust me) grilled fish is a nice change sometimes.

How many fish can you grill at the same time? I helped my dad do salmon about ten years ago, and it was great. Just don't remember how we did it. How hot do you grill them at and how long. Thanks!!

Consultant, when grilling the fish, do you brush them with more marinade/butter or is the first spray with the Pam enough? Do they stick? Do you flip the fish at all or just cook from one side? Do you poke any holes in the foil?

Thanks for the info.

It depends on what kind of fish...

For smaller fish I do not flip them. If you cook them over medium heat they'll cook through, unless you have filets that are more than 1/2" to 3/4" thick. I don't poke holes in the aluminum foil either.

If I'm grilling good sized walleye filets I can get quite a few on (assuming I can CATCH quite a few, which is another issue altogether...). The key is to make sure they don't stick to the aluminum foil, so sometimes I do baste them more with stuff or put a little butter on them.

Big fish - like salmon - are great on the grill. One of my favorite ways to make them is to smoke them. Here's a recipe I use - it feeds probably 4 or 5 people easily.

Get 1 full side filet of salmon

Put the salmon in a pan or container. Take one cup of dark rum and pour it over and let it side for 15 minutes - shake it up a bit now and then so the rum goes all over.

After the 15 minutes is up, pour off the rum. Cover the salmon with a mixture of 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of salt. Put this in the fridge and let it sit for about 4 hours.

Pull the salmon out and rinse it off...meanwhile, get your grill going on low. Put the salmon on the top rack on some tin foil and cook it slowly for about 1/2 hour. If you want, put some smoker chips or a smoker packet in your grill. To make a smoker packet, just soak some hickory chips (or whatever you like) in water for about 10 minutes and then put them into a small aluminum foil packet about 4 inches square and poke a couple holes in it. Put this right down on the flames in your grill (if you have a gas grill this cleans up easy - if you have charcoal, you can obviously just put the chips in w/o the aluminum foil).

That's my favorite way to make salmon.

[This message has been edited by Consultant (edited 07-01-2003).]