• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Optima deep cycle batteries?

Navigator

Question

Anyone have experience with this product? I am replacing my deep cycle battery and was wondering if the extra $$ is worth it. The model I am interested in is the D31M. I use a Minnkota PD55 and right now my interstate deep cycle last's around 5 to 6 hours. Will I get more life from the Optima?? Thanks and any input is welcome. Nav

3 answers to this question

I've always had good luck with the Fleet Farm deep cycle batteries.

For what its worth, Optomia has a great reputation among Dodge Cummins powered diesel trucks. When it's time to replace my Dodge's batteries, it will get Optima yellow tops. They are spendy, but worth it.

I'm not directly familiar with the optima batteries. I'm not greatly impressed with the Minnkota Deep Cycle batteries. I have the largest Minnkota there is (not sure model number) and it is rated at 100 Ah (amp hours). I have 2 other deep cycles that one is rated at 120 Ah, and the other is 135 Ah. The 135 Ah battery allowed me to troll a shad rap on the city lakes for about 6 hours with a 52 lb thrust motor, lower speeds it would last days. I'm lucky to get 4 from the Minkota battery, usually closer to 3.5 hours.

The 135 Ah battery I believe I bought at Batteries Plus in a pinch and cost me about $80 if I remember correctly and is still holding strong after about 4 years of use (350-400 charges).

Look at the amp hour rating and that will tell you the actual battery life compared to other batteries. Not to be confused with cranking or cold cranking amps (starter batteries). A battery can have 1100 cold cranking amps, and only be rated at 55 amp hours .. unless that is strictly a starting battery, you will be very unhappy.

Navigator, I have used the Napa brand Orbital batteries, which are similar in design, and I have been very happy with them. I do have a brand new one for sale if you are interested. Its a heck of a deal. Let me know if you are interested. i do have a post in the equipment for sale under $250 forums.
Basguy31