• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing replacement

MrBig

Question

Are there any good suggestions on where or how can I get my bearing replaced on my boat trailer? I know many people do this themselves, but since I don't know what to do, and it is a little tricky, I really need someone else to do the job. I called a boat dealer in the spring, and they said "how do you know the bearings are bad?" Since I've had my boat 11 years and never replaced the bearings, I would like to do the preventative maintenance before it's too late.

Are there people out there who "moonlight" in bearing replacement? Or do I just call a boat dealer and open up the wallet to their demands? Help!

6 answers to this question

Big
just dig right in it's not that big a deal.take the weight off the wheel. pop off the cap.take out the cotter pin losen the nut and the bearings are right there.pull the wheel off and check the inside ones too. pack the new ones
put them backin and finger tighen the nut and put the cotter pin in the hole put the cap back on done deal.you could buy some bearing buddys great investment good luck
jimBo

[This message has been edited by jimBo (edited 09-20-2001).]

Thanks for the advice everyone. I already have bearing buddies on, but I don't want to rely on them. Also, JimBo, isn't it a little tricky not to over tighten the nut? And aren't the bearings a little tough to get out sometimes?

MrBig, if the bearings need to be tapped out I use an old wooden hammer handle or very soft metal flat ended punch/driver. Tapping from the inside out will usually get them out. When you tighten the bearing turn the wheel and tighten the nut until the wheel starts to turn hard/slows down, then back the nut off to the next open slot (or two if needed), the wheel should turn freely and not wobble on the shaft. Hope this helps.