• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt / Trim Trouble - Fishing trip 1 week away HELP

BorderView

Question

89 Mariner 50hp serial # OC161540

Coming out of storage it would not trim up, only down in a herky jerky fasion. Seemed low on oil. Topped it off and still will not trim up. I hear trim motor running but no movement.

Is there air in the system? If so, how do I bleed it off?

How can I drain the trim oil completely? What is the best method for refilling?

Haven't noticed a leak but when I opened the fill plug the trim oil was milky.

If more imfo is required, let me know.

Hope someone can help. I have my annual fishing trip coming up and the local merc/mariner repair center can't get to it before I leave.

Thanks,

Roger

8 answers to this question

Roger, how did you fill up unit ?

You have to set motor all the way up to fill up reservoir correctly.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 06-27-2003).]

I did have the motor up and held in place by the travel stop. The motor will go up a little more than that when fully trimmed up or lifted by hand with the relief screw loosened.

Tonight I pumped as much trim oil out as I could by lifting and lowering the motor by hand. Then, with the motor on the travel stop, I filled the resevior. Still will not trim up. If I release the stop, the motor will settle about a third of the way down. Will not trim up but will trim down in a herky jerky manner.

I have a repair manual on the way from Amazon and may tear it apart tomarrow. I'm aprehensive because I really do not know what I'm doing, but at this point I'm getting desperate.

RB

I would bet it is a bad valve either in the pump or the ram. try calling youre local marine dealer and seeing if they can give you any ideas.
Good luck, these things always seem to happen right before big trips.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Ok, to properly fill reservoir you have to open release valve and lift motor all the way up, the fill reservoir with fluid.
When full, operate motor up and down for few times to fill rams, then still with motor up open fill valve to release some of the air, check oil, and it should be ready to go.
There are kits to rebuild rams, but they are not easy to do, you might want to contact a dealer and see if it can be done quickly, I wouldn't attempt to do it yourself, unless you have good expertise with the job. If pump is faulty, you might want to find a used unit, it might be cheaper than a new one, and easier to assembly.
Not having much time will not help you, but don't be in a hurry to do a "patch" job or it will cost more $$ or more time without motor.

Valv
I believe I have filled in the correct manner.

Can you give me an idea of how I can determine whether I have a bad ram or pump? The motor will trim down (a little herky jerky) and will stay in a position when stopped.

When you say run the motor up and down a few times to fill the ram, I assume you mean by hand with the release open. Or, should I lift by hand and use the trim to lower.

All the help is appreciated Thanks

RB

Valv
Didn't get your post till this morning.

kjgmh
Never thought of that. I will give it a look.

Pulled the trim motor off. The trim oil was milky. Of the four bolt that hold down the motor/reservoir, two were not tight. I'm guessing this let water and air into the system.

My question now is: How do I get ALL of the oit out of the piston area? I have raised and lowered the motor by hand many times and it seems I could do this forever and still have some oil in the piston. I would really like to get all of the milky oil out before I reassemble and see it the loose bolts were my problem.

RB