• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 75hp 4-stroke Tiller

196thDLR

Question

I am scheduled to have one of these motors hung on the back of my pro-v tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM. In the words of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," Did I choose wisely??

7 answers to this question

196TH,

I just bought the exact same motor last month. So far, about 50 hours or so, it's been everything I expected--and more. It's extremely quite at every rpm level, with the exception of wide open--where it's still a bit smoother than other 90/100 hp's I've sat next to. I personally feel it's very quick out of the hole, and it pushes my Crestliner 1750 Fish hawk and myself at 42mph. With a partner, she cruises at 38. She doesn't troll down past 2.5mph yet, but she's on a downward trend, and fellow users tell me she'll soon settle in at 1.8, or so. The most pleasant surprise so far has been the outstanding gas mileage. I'm getting 6 or 7 mpg easily. I've only used a tank and a half of fuel so far, and my new graph shows 191 miles of travel. We chose wisely.

P.s. My technician spent almost 45 minutes with me when I picked her up at the dealer. He was very thorough in his explanation of do's and dont's--particularly in regards to break in period. This really helped, and you should insist on this.

Good luck!

U J & CHIEF: I truely appreciate your comments. Living on a fixed income, I need to spend my little surplus wisely. I am trading in a 70hp Yamaha 2 stroker, tiller.
Thanks again. D/4/31

Just a ? on yamahas. With back trolling do you find that they go to one side more than the other? My 40hp marnier does and no way to change this.Im refering to the tiller style.
thanks
jimBo

[This message has been edited by scubajpd (edited 06-30-2003).]

My Yamaha has an adjustable tension lever for the steering, so I can tighten it up a little bit when I am back trolling.

You can also play with the trim and tilt a little bit, as I find a little different tilt to the motor helps "balance" it out better.

Good fishing.

I agree, the steering tension lever prevents unwanted "travel", but trimming up a bit (you'll have to experiment)makes tracking very straight and true.

I have been running a Yamaha 80 4 stroke and have been very happy with it. I think you will be amazed at the overall performance and fuel efficiency. Good Fishing!!