• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Porcelain Socket Rewiring

catchin'whopper

Question

I saw that mower question and i figured i could add this on the forum. I am rewiring a lamp out side that is near the boat. I want to use it to work on it in the evening hours and saw that the porcelain socket was busted.

I went to replace it not recognizing the ground setup (if there was one) on the old busted one.

My quesiton on the new one I put in, does it need to be grounded? There were 3 wires running up the lamp post, but for the life of me I can not remember if the old one was grounded. The new porcelain socket does not have a green grounding screw on it but there is a potential screw hole there, however, connected to that there is no metal plate that it would run into in essence creating a good ground?

I guess I am wondering if I need to have this grounded or not, is it necessary? Thanks for any responses.

-Catchin'

[This message has been edited by catchin'whopper (edited 06-26-2003).]

8 answers to this question

I'm sure I saw the plastic light sockets with an outlet included at Menards. The same may be available in the ceramic style. Those light socket only style are not grounded but, if it has an outlet, you should use a ground. If you do use a socket that has an outlet, I would consider adding a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) also. I think having an outside outlet without a GFI is a no no.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 06-26-2003).]

Thanks Dave for the response. The lamppost is wired to the house, thus there is no outlet that would require the GFI. I already have the porcelain/ceramic wired to the fixture but could easily undo it. do you feel it would still be needed to be grounded? Thanks for the response.

Catchin'

Thank you for the response Dave. i have been looking around the web for additional information but have yet to find anything definitive. I will probably go forward with your comment and my intuition, unless someone knows anything else? Thanks in advance.

Catchin'