• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was thinking of trying this lake this year, and was wondering how big it is, and if there are any public accesses on it. Our fishing group from town is coming there jan.14-17, but I can't make it then. It sounded like a pretty good lake to fish, and I would appriciate any help I could get.

Lots of water and lots of public access points. Usually a pretty good perch bite by then and you shouldn't have trouble getting your 2 walleyes over 14". Check with Sportsman's Cove bait shop in Webster when you get to town and they will put you on the most popular bite, but the best bite is usually found by yourself off the beaten path. Have fun and good luck.

Waubay is a fun place to fish. There are some dandy perch and catching walleyes is not usually a problem. The perch I don't predict the bite will be as hot as in the past, but there will be plenty of fish to be had. A good map is a must. You will be able to find some structure with no or just a few houses on it. These will generally be better than in the crouds.

mw

I just find it hard to believe that with 10,000 lakes they cant catch any perch. I know waubay is great, but there isnt any lake like that in minnessota. I appreciate the out of state fisherman becuase they bring a lot of money to are state. I just dont get why they cant catch fish like that in minnessota. I would if i lived there.

Waubay is a great place to ice fish. Big lake and you can find your own areas if you don't like fishing the crowds.

I personally like fishing in the Refuge area because people don't enjoy walking that far to catch fish!!

You can't have a motorized vehicle, like a 4-wheeler or car in the refuge. I'm sure gas augers are ok. Haven't come across anything in the fishing laws.

I have done it before and everyone else out there was also using gas augers.

5 and 1, what is the point of even going out?? I know this lake gets a lot of pressure but numbers like that?? I have guys that I work with that won't even go with me because of the limits right now. It should help with the trophy numbers but man, that is a pretty stiff limit.

That limit works for me, if a person just catches fish thats all that really matters!! Take a few home to eat then come back and catch some more, how hard is that to do??? That way this lake stays full like it is, if people don't like the limits they don't have to come here and fish!!! Of course this is just my .02!!! grin.gif

Yup, I agree with PerchJr. I wish they would lower our limits over here {MN}. Catch a ton of fish, and have a snack at the end of the day. Its much cheaper to buy walleye fillets at the store. I have never fished SD but this year Id like to. Went out today an a small lake south of Mpls, 1/2 open. 2 inches of ice, only managed 2 crappie and a few missed. Those crappies were taking 3in shiners. Couldnt find any walters, but I didnt have many options, already fogged the outboard. Good Luck Guys.

-------------Thanks, Rookie.---------------

----------- Reject all Activists ! ---------------------

Ivegottabite, heres what the GFP did. Put the walleye minimum limit at 16". Then the lake got tremendously popular. It was just full of perch that were small by SD standards 8-10", along with gazillions of walleye below the 16" limit. You would fish all day, catch 75 walleyes singlehandedly, and have one over 16" and I mean 16 1/8". Cause they rarely got to 16 1/2". Then walleye limit was 4 fish but could just as easily been 19 cause you werent gonna catch 4. Then the GFP changed the limit to 2 fish and then lowered the limit to 14". In winter, there are sometimes 1200 cars on Waubay on a single day. Thats 2400 walleyes a day, and potenially 12000 perch. No lake can sustain that. So, guys are bragging about how many fish they caught but it was more like success by lowering the standards rather than realizing the goal. It used to be nothing to catch 100 perch from waubay. Now guys often dont get their 10.

I doubt it will drop. But I have to admit, it wouldn't hurt me a bit. I love to catch fish. I don't fish walleye so that doesn't bother me. As far as the perch go, When I go to Waubay, I keep 10 perch and fish all day catching 30 to 50 perch. Hey, catch and release man. It's a blast. Or it simply keeps me off the ice quicker. I sometimes start before daybreak in NE SD and may hit up to 4 or 5 bodies of water and limit on crappie, perch and bluegill. That's plenty of fish to clean when I get home.

i'm not against c&r. i was simply stating a opinion my coworkers hold that they wouldn't come down because they think the limit is low. i just can't believe the pressure that lake still gets even with the limits where they are. it is good to have the correct limits imposed so that the lake can be controlled to a point.

i fish just to get out and enjoy the outdoors. it's always a plus catching some walleye, perch or crappie though. i am not a guy that goes out day after day catching limits, that's where the limits have to be imposed.

Hey bite, wasn't getting on your case but I was just throwing in my $.02 also. I just hope that they try to control Waubay and all the other lakes that produce so many fish, so they stay that way for the future!! But hey we don't have to worry about it for a while because of this wonderul weather we are having!!!!! laugh.gif Anyways Good luck and Good fishing!!! Oh yeah and pray for ICE!!!

I was told last year that the walleyes do not reproduce in Waubay. Thinking about it walleyes are in the perch family and the perch seem to be doing just fine from what I can tell.