• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lock removal

Fisher Dave

Question

We purchased a used 14ft boat last year with a 9.9 mtr. The mtr has one of those bar locks that cover the screw down handles. The owner didn't have the key any more. We would like to get the lock off. Anyone have any suggestions?

11 answers to this question

I believe there is a padlock that holds this unit together (?), at least on my old boat it did. I had the padlock rust on me!

I've done this with several padlocks. Take a hammer, or if you need a chisel to get at it, and pound it off. The padlock should give, unless it's a Master lock...those are tough ones.

Wear heavy gloves in case you miss! wink.gif

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of using the saws all too, I just wasn't sure where to cut. there is no padlock just a lock on the underside of the blue bar. I don't know about numbers but I will take a look.
Dan

I had similiar problem with a Master lock. I went to a locksmith in St. Cloud. He looked up the lock's number in his book, made a key for me and I was gone in 15 and only about 8 bucks lighter.

Dusty...

Sounds like the exact same lock as I had(have)... there will be numbers inscribed on the face of the lock.

The key cylinder screws in on the inside (bolted basicly). The good news is the lock on mine had no rust after years of use and stored outdoors.

The only other option I can think of for that lock is to go to a rental place that carries giant bolt cutters to fit around the 1 1/4" (roughly) tubing theyre made from.

We purchased a used 14ft boat last year with a 9.9 mtr. The mtr has one of those bar locks that cover the screw down handles. The owner didn't have the key any more. We would like to get the lock off. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would get a saws-all and cut it off. Once cut the ends will just slide off. Not worth the expense of a locksmith.

Cut it on each side of the lock, the lock is only a nut and screw with a key to tighten.

You could try to pry the ends down but you risk bending the tightening screws on your motor.

They work on a shackle theory, the two peices clamp togther. I did pry the ends off my trolling motor once when the key had rusted and couldn't get it loose. If you have room I'd try the saw idea.

A locksmith told me it would cost $75-$100 to make a new key for my motor once, and that was taking it to him.

Take a sawz-all and cut on either side of the key-hole.

This should allow you to manually operate the twist latch lever that locks the bars together.

Good fishing

(sorry Chris, was typing while you posted smile.gif)

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 06-24-2003).]