Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dano2

Bearing buddies

10 posts in this topic

Thanks , I have the bras, but I reckon I've been pumping them up too much now that you explained it.
Funny thing is, I've always pumped them up til the grease starts coming out the bearing buddy,(almost) and never had a problem.
Just got lucky I guess til this year.
Well time to change another seal. and will just pump grease in until I barley see the bearing buddy start to push out.
thanks

Your Welcome Dano. IF the spring on the buddy dosnt move freely you may what to clean and flush it out with gas while you got it off.

I have had the same ones on for over 4 years now, and am wondering if they are going bad,
How can you tell?
For some reason, I seemd to have blown the inner seal for the second time this year pumping a little extra grease in, and never had this problem before.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken them apart when I did my bearings.
I KNOW I have them back together correctly too. hmmmm, ticks me off

In order for the buddies to work as intended you need to keep the dust and dirt off them. Use the buddy bra too keep them clean. You should put enough greese in to were the spring starts to compress. Dont bottom it out.

Aside from adding the grease regularly to keep the bearings lubed is there other maintance required? Should they be pulled and repacked? I guess I was under the assumtion that the bearing buddies needed no maintance. Someone please advise. My boat is not going on 4 years old and I have done nothing with the bearings..

I pull it all apart and inspect the bearings and races and replace the seals every 2 years or so. Just for peace of mind. It dosent take long.

If you have greese slinging from the seal then you need to pull it apart.

Are there any special tools required to get them off? Or manuals? I would like to learn how to do this myself. I've never messed with trailer bearings before. Thanks.

I have had the same bearings and bearing buddys on my Easy Loader trailer since 1976.
I did install the bearing buddy spring loader seals and spindle covers. This stopped grease leakage all over the inside of the wheel rim.
I use a couple of old tennis balls for covers to keep the dust out of the bearing buddies.
I my opinion the buddies were the best thing that happened to trailer bearings.

------------------
Bob/MN

I called Shorelander to hopefully get advise on this repacking the bearings or changing out the hubs and I was advised that as long as you keep them greased there should not be any reason to ever repack or replace unless you actually blow a seal.