• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing buddies

Dano2

Question

I have had the same ones on for over 4 years now, and am wondering if they are going bad,
How can you tell?
For some reason, I seemd to have blown the inner seal for the second time this year pumping a little extra grease in, and never had this problem before.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken them apart when I did my bearings.
I KNOW I have them back together correctly too. hmmmm, ticks me off

9 answers to this question

I have had the same ones on for over 4 years now, and am wondering if they are going bad,
How can you tell?
For some reason, I seemd to have blown the inner seal for the second time this year pumping a little extra grease in, and never had this problem before.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken them apart when I did my bearings.
I KNOW I have them back together correctly too. hmmmm, ticks me off

Aside from adding the grease regularly to keep the bearings lubed is there other maintance required? Should they be pulled and repacked? I guess I was under the assumtion that the bearing buddies needed no maintance. Someone please advise. My boat is not going on 4 years old and I have done nothing with the bearings..

Are there any special tools required to get them off? Or manuals? I would like to learn how to do this myself. I've never messed with trailer bearings before. Thanks.

I have had the same bearings and bearing buddys on my Easy Loader trailer since 1976.
I did install the bearing buddy spring loader seals and spindle covers. This stopped grease leakage all over the inside of the wheel rim.
I use a couple of old tennis balls for covers to keep the dust out of the bearing buddies.
I my opinion the buddies were the best thing that happened to trailer bearings.

------------------
Bob/MN

I called Shorelander to hopefully get advise on this repacking the bearings or changing out the hubs and I was advised that as long as you keep them greased there should not be any reason to ever repack or replace unless you actually blow a seal.