Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Mankato-Ice-Man

FL-18 on a boat? How well do they work?

I am looking to put a depth finder on my boat and am torn between buying the summer transducer for my Fl-18 or buying a bottom line side finder 1200. Both are about the same price (79 and 89 dollars respectivly).

Has anyone used thier FL-18 for summer fishing from the boat? If so, what degree of transducer do you recommend? If it helps, I will probably be fishing shallower lakes, less then 25' deep, and may venture over to the Mississippi from time to time (twice a year, at most), but doubt I would be fishing much deeper then that there either.

As always, thanks in advance for the great information I usually get by posting my questions here.

Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

[This message has been edited by Mankato-Ice-Man (edited 06-19-2003).]

I would chose the FL-18 for sure, and go with a 12 or 19 degree ducer.

You will learn more using the Vexilar then with the Bottomline, especially on rivers.

You can use the puck ducer and shoot through the hull on either a glass or a metal boat. This is a great option for cross use of the FL-18.

tip003-2.gif

Check out the Vexilar web site for tips on this method of mounting puck ducers. They have a lot of good info there that will help you decide what is best for your circumstances.

www.vexilar.com/help/tips.html
small-logo.gif
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

get_file.html?mid=172

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-19-2003).]

I am with Backwater Eddy.

With the FL-18 in the boat you will be without disapointment. I have used a Vexilar in the open water for 10 years now, many of those along side an LCG, and found 90% of the time I had the LCG turned off.

The only drawback, if it is much of one, is you don't have the constant "record" of what you've just gone over.

I run the 19 degree high speed ducer on my transome, and it reads well even at 35 mph.

When we go to Canada and bring the 12' boats back into the woods, I bring my ice box and battery, and my ice ducer. Put a little water on the floor of the boat, set the ducer in it, and it shoots right through.

Go with the Vex in my opinion.

thanks

Good fishing

FL-18 without question. I have my transducer on my bow mount trolling motor. This thing is a life saver when you are looking for minor differences down there. I have it up front because I have an x85 otherwise and that is alot handier when searching at speeds because of the history.

I would have said the exact same thing as united jigsticker!! I have a Hondex I've been using on all my boats for at least the last 15 years. Great portable unit too with the ice box.

I often see more fish with the flasher when comparing to what my Lowrance tells me. It REALLY helps eliminate "dead" water for those finicky walleyes. wink.gif

I went through the same dilemma only it was before the FL-18. I bought the fl8-slt. I would definitley go with the Vex. In my opinion its better for summer and winter use.

Thanks for all the replys.
As soon as get the motor running and get it out fishing a couple times, I should be able to order the 12d kit for my Fl-18.

------------------
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he will steal all your best spots!