• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yamaha 155 4 stroke

Question

Looking at buying a 1800 lund fisherman with a yamaha 115 4 storke on it. I have heard from a couple of people that a 115 might not be enough motor. I would think it would push it around the lake, what do you guys think? And while we are on the topic of boats would you recomend the fisherman or should a guy look at the pro-v 1800 or tyee 1850. Have a older 16 ft Mr. Pike right now and would like something a little bigger with a windsheild. I am tired of getting wet.

------------------
Thanks Scott

9 answers to this question

Not sure what the fisherman weighs but I have an Alumacaft TPro 175 with a tiller Yamaha 90 4-stroke and it goes about 40 at 6000 RPM. Would think th etwo boats would be fairly similar in performance.

Scott,

I beleive that the 1800 is rated for a 175 h.p. I would never chose a motor that would be less than 80% of the max h.p.
Using this formula a 115 would not be enough motor. Either step up in horses or step down in boat size, I'm sure that you will end up much happier with your purchase

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 06-13-2003).]

AWW Heck, just slap a Mercury OptiMax 250XS on there, who needs them ratings anyways.

Just Kidding
I think a 150 horse OptiMax, FICHT or HPDI VMax would be awesome on that boat.

I have a 2003 Crestliner Sportfish 1850. It has a Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke on it with a mid range prop. It will run 40mph at about 5800 rpm. Weigh your options on the need for speed vs more boat options to get the price and comfort your looking for.
Starman

Go for the larger engine, I've been in a 1700 Fisherman with a 115 Yamaha and sure, it would plane out, and sure, I'll do around 40. However, with just two guys, albeit two guys that are 6'3" and 250 or so, it felt kind of doggy to me.

Get into the hot summer days with friends or family to do a little sking or whatever and I'd guess you'd wish you had more engine behind ya. I've heard a lot more people wish they had more HP than the other way around....