• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Problems 115 Johnson

Grabs

Question

Quick question for everyone.

Just got a call from my fishing partner Groloe, he said he just pulled off the lake and had motor troubles and can't get his motor to fire off.

He has a 115 Johnson, only 3 years old.

There is power and the motor tries to start, and he can smell fuel. He is at the cabin now with boat out of the water.

I told him to disconnect everything from the starting battery except the motor (reason a new depth finder was wired up this week in between the last time it was on the water and this one, seems to be the only thing that was changed, but I know it shouldn't be the cause if we have power to the motor).

Next I told him to check for spark, which still needs to be done. After this I have a limited idea of where to proceed next.

I will be heading up there soon after work this evening and would like a few ideas before I head out.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Make sure that all the lines in the fuel system are connected and tight and that there are no leaks. Just because you can smell fuel doesn't mean it is getting to where it is supposed to.

I have been fighting a similar problem with my evinrude 70. It didn't get fuel pressure to the carbs and had to be manually choked on occasion. Some lines where bad coming out of the VRO pump.

I hope you do not have the same problem that I had about a month ago. My 115 HP Johnson had the same problem motor died and I could not get it too start. I ended up burning a piston on my motor. I am still waiting to get it back the whole powerhead has to be replaced. I hope you have better luck with your motor and it is something minor.

upnorth and donz, I just had a 60HP jonhson burn out a piston for the second time I learn slow but now I would recomend to everyone to mix your gas and oil as the vro system will fail sooner or later and why have trouble, just disable the thing and mix your own, I had old Jonhsons last forever before they invented the vro

------------------
HotShot