• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Pro 50

Question

I have an 87 Yamaha Pro 50. It has been a great runner and idles all day.However,it is now very difficult to shift into FWD or REV gear. There is enough resistance that I think I may break something. Once it is in gear, the throttle works easily. This model has a Yamaha remote cable. Anyone ever have this experience? Is it most likely in the linkage in the lower uni, or am I missing something about being in the remote?? Help appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Jwally, I would disconnect shift cable from motor, and see if moving the shifter lever on motor is still hard.
At least you can pinpoint where to start.
If it's cable....you are lucky, it doesn't cost much. If it's in the linkage....it might be different, if it's in the lower unit....sorry, but SOL.

Also check oil in lower unit.

Val

Once your in gear it sounds like your lower unit is fine. It sounds like the cable or shift lever. Is the internal shift lever greased? Let me know what you find out.