• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Fillet Knives

protrapper

Question

I just bought the Mister Twister Fillet Knife at Fleet Farm today for $19.99 I thought that was a good buy, heck new blades are almost $10.00 Anyway I have had one for about 4-5 years and have cleaned thousands of fish with it. Last night I cleaned a bunch of fish from a trip a group of us took to Wisconsin this week. And she overheated.

Anyway my buddy said get a Black & Decker at Sears, well sears dont carry them or any electric knife. I heard the Rapala ones are terrible and the American Angler ones aren't that great either. A friend of mine up north has a fish cleaning service and he recomenends the Mr. Twister. But I hear other people say they suck! I have never had a problem though!

Is there another brand out there that anyone would recommened? I think I got my moneys worth from my first Mr. Twister. But if theres a better one name them guys. Thanks...

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 06-04-2003).]

17 answers to this question

Two things; I have the Anglers Best cordless filet knife and it works fine. I bought it for the times I don’t have access to electricity. Only problem is when you have a whole mess of fish to clean it tends to die off before your done. The other thing. Before I bought this new knife I've always just bought cheap kitchen filet knives either on sale or at garage sales. They all worked fine.

Do those electric knives work well in general? they seemed excessive and should be reserved for cutting tenderloins or hams. are there more opinions on these? i guess i don't keep fish as often jsut for the sake i don't like cleaning fish, i just like to come home and relax after a long day on the water.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it down you'll be amazed. I don't even touch my normark anymore. Plus you aren't using the diamond sticks after every couple of fish. Highly recomend. Start out cleaning perch and as you get better move up to everything else.

I dont think I can take it back its 4-5 years old, I dont even remember where I got it. I like the Mr. Twister, mine has cleaned thousands of fish I just think its finally worn out!!

I see on the new Mr. Twisters its a whole new look to it. Looks better made that is. For 20 bucks I think I got my moneys worth of the old one.

I have just heard from other people that the Rapala knives dont hold up well. Overheat, etc. Just could be hear say though, as I have never used them. I know this, there fishing line is terrible, I have used that. But I alsi heard the Mr. Twisters where bad and I liked mine so I bought another one.

They come with 2 year warranty so I couldnt return it. But like I say got my moneys worth. There is no better way to clean fish then with an electric knife. I cleaned 264 perch in about 2 hrs. on Winni this winter. That right there was worth 20 bucks... Later..

I had nothing but bad luck with the mister twister electic fillet knives. First overheated and dies within the first month. Second one the switch burnt out and the knive wouldn't turn off after 3 months of use. I then got an American Angler. It lasted 2 years and then died. Now I have the American angler Ultra and it starting it's 3 season and still go strong.

With practice you'll keep them as close as with a standard fillet knife and get done twice as fast.

I was somewhat disapointed when I first seen my Mister Twister electric filet knife.
I ordered it from Cabela's and when I opened the box it reminded me of the knife that grandma used to carve the thanksgiving turkey with. I've been using it since 1985 and it is still working fine.
Like mentioned above, I started on perch and progressed to all other species of fish.
This past weekend I cleaned 16 red lake slabs as my Dad cleaned 4. He was impressed as to the little amount of flesh left behind compared to a regular filet knife.
I have been happy with this brand and would be willing to purchase another.
I have used an American Angler and found it to work just as well. Once you master it you will look forward to cleaning your catch.
Sharpening the blades is also simple.
A light touch at 22 degrees and smooth down the flat side and your ready for another bucket of perch.
I paid $18 and change and that was with postage. Prices haven't changed much.
Good Luck...

yep, gotta agree, Mister twister does the trick. My father inlaw got one from target and it overheated as well. Smelled terrible (the knife that is). He just took it back and got a new one. I lucked out on my first one and it keeps going, and going, and going......

Protrapper,

I buy the Oster brand of carving knife at Target--they are cheap and do the same job.

When you feel the motor getting hot, just give it a break for 5 minutes so you don't fry the thing.

------------------
Chells

I use an American Angler Ultra with the blades from a Mister Twister. The blades are intercahngable, and I found it works better for me. The American Angler fits the hand better. I have been told that the motor and drive is heavy duty comparing them to your kitchen electric knives. I used to use a Hamilton Beach, but sheared off a drive pin for the blades on larger fish.

My wife got me the American Angler Ultra for Christmas this last year and I love it.
Its much faster and I get much nicer fillets,
this is just me and my opinion though.
My buddy is old fashioned and wont touch one, its still fun watching him sharpening his cheap fillet knives about 5 times each time we clean a few fish, and I just LOVE seeing his ripped up fillets with scales on some of them. I usually can clean about 3 fish to his one though, so not too many are screwed up.
Ya I know most of you dont suck that bad, I believe its mostley the beer thats helps him to be a complete putts when it comes to cleaning fish.
The only problem I had with my knife is I broke that pin that holds the 2 blades together, but that was my fault trying to go through half frozen URL slabs, I JUST HAD TO GET IT DONE MAN!
Heck I use it anyway, it whips through a catch of wallys like nothing.
thanks.

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 06-08-2003).]

I have a Rapala and I think that it is the best I have ever owned or used. After 50 panfish one night it didn't get hot. I also like it because the motor unit is smaller than most that I have used. I also fits really nice in your hand. I have used American Anglers and after only 10 or so it is so hot you can barly hold onto it. I have a cordless American Angler and I like the fact that it is cordless but the battery will only last to do about 8 walleyes and then the battery dies. For those who have never used a electric knife I would recommend a electric all the way and for electric knifes I would highly recommend a Rapala.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes