Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big_D

Browning WSM

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering if you guys think that these are to big for deer hunting? And those of you who have them or have shot them would you suggest them.

------------------
Big D

Are you talking the 300 WSM caliber? I dont own one but know a bit about them.
They're not to big for deer and they're big enough for Griz. If you reload that would be a plus with this cartridge. Type Browning WSM into any search engine and you'll know all you want. You know anyone that forks out the dough for one of these are going to be biosed but you should be able to find plenty of facts.

Sometimes the "too big" for deer issue is oversold. I think the quality of the bullet is more important. With good quality bullets such as Brnes, Nosler partitions, Swift A Frames, et al, any of the WSM calibers will be fine deer rounds.

I shot a 30-06 semi-auto for years. The older I got, the more I began to dislike the triggers on the semi autos. Once I was afflicted with elk fever, I moved up to a bolt gun in 338 win mag.

I worked up a very accurate load for it with a good quality bullet (Barnes).

I have shot several deer now with the 210 grain .338 Barnes bullet, and there has been no more or less bullet damage that the 30-06 deer that I shot with 165 grain bullets (Nosler Partitions)

My wife shoots the same bullet in a wildcat 338/06 with the same results.

I reality the 338 is overkill for deer, but I am confident with the gun and its accuracy. The recoil is pretty strong, but I am not bothered by it.

Some day I will probably get a smaller gun for deer, something like a 6.5 x 55 Swedish, but until I do, the 338 will remain my deer and elk gun.

[This message has been edited by Gissert (edited 06-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Gissert (edited 06-04-2003).]

I was thinking more about the 270 and 7mm WSMs. They are a little less powerfull than the 300.

------------------
Big D

Well then thats a different story then.
I dont know what the advantages the WSM in the 270 and 77mm are other then longer case live for reloading. I would ask why are you considering the WSM? Without knowing what your going to use the gun for other then deer its hard to say.

well I was thinking about buying a browning and I saw the WSMs. They travel more fps they dont drop as far as the standard round and they dont have that much more recoil. I will mostly hunt deer but you never know what might come up were I need more power.

------------------
Big D

I just got a Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 WSM. I topped it off with a 3x9 Nikon and I shot three deer last fall with it. My first deer was at 435 yards and I thought I missed the first shot cuz he was still standing so I gave him one more and down he went. Later looking at the deer I did hit him the first shot I guess he didnt know what him. The 2 shots were about 3 inches apart. I did a lot of reading up on this WSM before I got it. I just sold a 7mm and I already have a 270 Win I just wanted something different. Now I must mention that i do hunt moose also In Ontario so hopefully this year I fill my freezer with moose meat. I think its all what the guy chooses in what he wants to shoot as far as caliber goes. I live in northern MN so its just a short drive for me to go moose hunting. I think any of these WSM calibers would be good for deer and someday you might want to hunt for something else I dont know. I took a guy deer hunting once who used a 375 H&H Mag now that was a overkill. One deer he shot was running towards him and grazed his ribcage and left half his guts hanging on the branches but he killed it. As far as recoil goes I dont really notice any difference and mind you that the gun i got is only about 7 lbs or just a hair over. I never let recoil bother me. I did consider a BOSS but I shot a guns that were ported, sure they do make a difference as far a recoil but they are also louder. A tender shoulder from shooting will heal faster than a constant ringing in your ears. But like I said before its what the guy wants to shoot. My 270 win does anything I want it to do but I dont have a scope on it and I have shot many deer and moose with it. only moose i ever dropped in its tracks was shot with a 7 mm and a 12 gauge slug. My dad claims his furthest shot on a moose was over 500 yards with his 270. I laugh at these articles when they say that the 270 is too small for moose. Sure to some it maybe but as for me experience speaks for itself. I think you are making a good choice with the Browning and remember to put some good optics on it. Good luck in what you go with. Brian