• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ignition problem

gofishingtom

Question

have a 175efi mercury and this last week when starting the motor i could start it up 3 -4 times no problem then it wont start nothing but the battery is fully charged and the voltage is fine so need to take off cowling and use pliers that buddy showed me to start motor but does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong would luv some ideas before i take her in to shop.. is the ignition going out?
thanks

2 answers to this question

I kind of had the same problem with my 75 Merc. It started a couple of times then all it would do it crank but not fire. If this sounds like your problem then it may have been 1.) you "deadman" kill switch was in the off position or

2.) you may need to have your stator replaced. ( this is kind of like a distributor cap in your auto. it controls the sparking power to your coils.) or

3.) your coils could possibly bad

Hope this can maybe help a little. I ended up having my stator replaced and the part alone cost around $300. Luckily my bro-in-law is an outboard mechanic so it didn't cost quite so much.