• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'94' 70 H.P. Evinrude Problem

Question

I have a 1994 70 H.P. Evinrude and today was cruising across the lake maybe 1/4 throttle and the "alarm" went off. According to the alarm chart, "continuous alarm and can't go above mid throttle" which was my case points to overheated, but was still pumping water when I shut it off. Even after I got it home,(cooled off) turn the key, the alarm is still on constant. Was wondering if anybody had any ideas or hopefully knows specifically what might be going on. I figured if was overheated and allowed to cool, it would stop the alarm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

United Jigsticker, can you tell me where the power pack is located. Is there much to taking it off. I would like to try the easiest things first.
Thanks for your reply.

The OMC O/talk in that year range had a tendancy for the warning horn to short out inside the control box and give a constant horn. You may want to open the control box and make sure the wire to the horn is not grounding out on box itself. It can be fixed with some electrical tape if that is the case. grin.gif

Rodholder,

It depends on your type of motor.. if it's a tiller it'll probably be found under the pivoting tiller handle (the part you hold onto) it'll be inside a plastic bracket with a circle cut into it, which holds the alarm (the alarm has a couple of little holes in it for the sound to pass through). If it's a remote motor (with controls & a console) it'll be found inside the control box...

Good Luck!

marine_man