Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Benny

Water spike and a chain?

5 posts in this topic

Ok, I had a few problems holding the boat in light wind this past weekend.I use a good sized water spike one size bigger than recamended for the boat.I put one of those bungy type cords on it then 100 feet of ancor rope.
Does the 3-4 foot long chain work that much better to get the spike to dig in?
I was fishing in rocks and I would quess they are soft ball to basket ball size off Agate reef on M.L..

I have not had to many problems in the past with this, but on ocasion there has been issues with not staying put.
I also run a small navy style ancor out the rear mabe 15 lbs at the most.

Thanks, Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 05-29-2003).]

The bungy may not be helping and yes 3-4' of chain does help your anchor dig in when the wind is whipping or in current-that is how we rigged our river anchors in AK. Good luck and tight lines!
redhooks

If you had bthe bungy cord attached directly to the anchor you may have been having problems "setting" the anchor. Too much elasticity.

I maybe wrong, but I always use nylon rope and have never had a problem w/ anchor sets.

Benny check to make sure that the tines on the anchor are welded square to the frame. I also had a hard time getting mine to stick. Than my buddie noticed that the reason mine wasn't sticking was due to the fact that the tines weren't on there square to the frame. So it caused the anchor to roll instead of stick. He took it and ground the weld off than re welded the tines on square and it's worked beautifully ever since.
Mike

For those of you wondering what a Waterspike anchor is:

CLICK HERE to see it and how the chain is set-up.

Also, don't use a bungy (the bounce can loosen the anchor). Be sure to set the anchor as it's tightening up and be sure to let enough robe out. When you're rope is at a 35-20 degree angle you can gentle tug on the rope until you feel the anchor grab.

It works perfect for the rocks you were in. The only reason to use a 15 lb anchor off the rear is to stop your boat from swinging or to fish a few guys off one side of the boat. Be sure to make sure your waterspike is set after you toss in the Navy anchor, your angle from the boat to the anchor may change a little.

I do recommend a 2'-3' chain, mainly for the abiltiy to loosen the anchor in current or high wind (it also helps it dig in better). They hold better than any other anchor on the market. Pound for pound nothing works better.

Again, CLICK HERE if you'd like to see one, get more info or order one.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-01-2003).]