• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer tire question

lumpy

Question

The tires on my boat trailer seem to have worn more on the outer edges. Last weekend driving up to Winnie one of the tires went bad, started bouncing so am going to replace the tires. I hate to have the new ones wear out right away if the wear points to a potential problem with the axle.

3 answers to this question

Are you keeping proper inflation? With the smaller tire, the heat really builds up when the tires are under inflated and that leads to wear. It sounds like you have an alignment problem. Is your axle bent? Take a tape and measure from the hitch to each end of the axle to see if you've had movement in the U-bolts. I've got some new tires to sell. See my post http://FishingMinnesota.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/002582.html.

Lumpy,

If the tires are wearing on both outside edges, I am guessing that the pressure is not up to where it should be. If it is on only one edge, it would be some kinda problem with the axle ends on the trailer. Hope that helps a bit.

I agree, under inflation caused the wear on the outer edges.

I have the same problem. My tires stated to maintain 50 PSI cold, and I felt that was too much pressure, so I kept the tire around 38ish PSI. Big mistake! I realized the wear and pumped it to 50 PSI and the tires tend to run cooler now.

This is a factory 13" tire on a 17' heavy boat. That was my reasoning for not inflating it to the max. I need to get larger tires/rims.