Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Creek Kid

SS to Aluminum

3 posts in this topic

I'm going to buy an aluminum prop to replace my SS. I have a 16.5' Alumacraft Competitor w/a Yammy Pro 60. I'm keeping the SS for a backup and will probably switch to it for big water. I run mostly in the river and bent a shaft last year (NOT in the river ironically!) but I'm a little spooked now. The SS prop that is on there now is 13.5x16. It's a pretty heavy boat and I'm happy with it's performace. 5500-5800 rpm = 38mph. If I switch to an Aluminum prop what would be an exquivalent to the 13.5x16 SS? I'm not much of a boat mechanic and I'm not going to get too excited about losing some speed unless it is a HUGE difference. But I would like to stay as close to what I have as I possibly can. What should I look for to replace it?

Propco props.
13 3/4 x 15 propco-#LY57-15SP

13 1/4 x 17 propco #LY58-17SP

Hustler Props
- 13-3/4 Dia. 15 Pitch
Part # 5A:HU1315AM
13-1/4 Dia. 17 Pitch
Part # 5A:HU1317AM

Michigan Wheel Props
part# BT27062 13 1/4 x 17
part# BT27061 13 1/2 x 15

I wasn't very clear. No place I've looked can I find a 16 pitch prop. Only 15 or 17. So do I go with a smaller diameter (13, 13.25) or smaller pitch or will the difference in performance from a 13.5x16 to a 13.5x15 or 17 be so minimal that I shouldn't worry about it? I'd like to keep my RPM's where they are at. I know I will lose some speed w/Aluminum so I was hoping someone could give me some advice to go with the 15 or 17 pitch.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Google;   Sayyid Qutb  and you can then read and decide on your own where and how todays Islamic Fundamentalists originated. 
    • Also check out discount ramps dot com
    • Hotspot outdoors of course!
    • Money to be made, and the cold war (you remember the cold war, right?) was the reason we did various things.    Go read about Stalin and his successors to see why we were worried about the Soviet Union.   What we did might or might not have turned out like we hoped but that doesn't change what the situation was.   
    • Dave, your economist wants immigrants to meet requirements like posting a bond or having assets.  Why should they do that when they can just come in with nothing through the porous borders?   Isn't the argument about open borders vrs controlled immigration?   Would the 11 million undocumented have to go back home and post a bond?     If the US through its political process decides to allow immigrants, that's cool.    But that is not what we have now.   Better pick that mike back up.  
    • I'm still trying to figure out why we pushed the coup in Ukraine, other than to cause trouble of course.
    •   Ditto, almost exactly the same. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on decoys if your just starting.
    •   To tell you the truth. I have never cleaned a cottontail ever that didn't have flees all over them in the winter. So I just stop hunting them and went for Snowshoes which are bigger and never found flees on them, oddly?
    •   Seems the hares are down from when I was younger but the cottontails seem plentiful enough. I popped these with a 20 gauge shotgun while grousing
    • I use to go for Snowshoes a lot in the winter with a scoped 22. It was fun sneaking through the pines looking for them. See the little black eye and "bing".  Seems like they just fell off the face of the earth for many years so I just gave up trying for them. I'm sure with the big "Down with Fur" thing and not many taking out as many Fox and Yotes by trapping it really took a hit on the bunnies!  I wrote the DNR back a few years ago and asked them about it and he said: we really don't manage the Rabbits at all. And he gave me the old "Grouse BS". Their just at the bottom of their 10 year cycle!   Seems to always be their answer!
  • Our Sponsors