• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

95 Mercury water pump??

Benny

Question

I have a 95 Mercury 40 HP 4 cyl. with el start, titl, trim oil injection model.
This weekend I noticed the water was not coming out the port like it used to ,the temp alarm came on twice also.
This was just replaced maybe 4 years ago, do these water pumps go out that fast?
The question I have is ,does any one know of a web site that may show the sckamatic of the water pump?
Or a good shop manual that they could scan and email to me?I hate to buy an expensive shop manual for just the water pump and the clymer manuals never seem to be all that accurate.
Any directions would be helpful as well, I can do the work just don't have a clue where to start to get it apart.
Thanks, Benny

12 answers to this question

Benny, it's a good practice to replace impeller (not whole water pump) every year or at least every 2 years.
It is not a tough job, if you've done some mechanical jobs, it is very easy.
Impeller (rubber "star" inside water pump) cost about $ 15.00
I would suggest a manual, it will be very easy to understand. A copy of manual is just like having the book, so as might as well buy whole thing. It will pay off in a very short time. Consider this, impeller $ 15.00, time 1 hour (not for an expert), cost of rebuilding powerhead $ 3,000 or more. I would not use your motor until you replace it.

------------------

Val Vignati
www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

Sounds like good advice, I see there are a few on hsolist.Some place in Wyoming (State) is selling tons of manuals there for around $25.00.
I will call a few dealers and see if any have one in stock.
Thanks, Benny

Nenny, I've got your message, and I replied, sorry I don't have any part for you.

Yes, the place in Laramie, Wy has tons of them.

Funny part it's name is Wyomingben. Is it related to you? wink.gif

did you check your pickup ports to make sure there is no obstruction blocking them also pull the tube off the tattletale to make sure it is not blocked and yea It's wise to replace the pump every other year

Valv, no relation to that place.Just like there is no relation to Ben's Bait & Tackle from Grand Rapids.

I took the lower apart tonight, picked up a Clymer manual from the library.
The impeller was in fair condition but defanatly needed to be replaced.It is detereiating really bad.

I called around and most places said I should replace the whole water pump assembly.
Hanneys said I could get by with just the impeller if the housing was ok, but I don't know if it's ok or not.The whole thing costs $75.00 and the impeler with gaskets cost $25.00.

I am going to bring the whole thing into Hanneys tomorrow and show them, then get an idea as to what to replace.
The lower came apart real easy, it did look like there was some sand up in the cavety around the exhaust ports.I may have sucked some sand in at one time.
Will let you all know the out come later this week.

Thanks, Benny

Ben, you did great, I usually use Mercury web site to order parts, so I don't even have to move my butt from chair, they are average reasonable.
One thing for sure, if rubber impeller breaks in pieces, they will get sucked up through motor and will block cooling ports.

Now you'll be set for anothre 2 years.

Well I got all the parts in this week and put the pump in and back on the powerhead tonight.She pumps water out as if it were a straight through line now.
I am going to write up a little instruction page for any one with a mecury like mine as the manual leaves out a couple of details that you have to watch for.
If Rick wants to post it then any one here could do the same thing, it was easy to do.Just have to watch how it came apart so as to not get confused with the first few nuts and washers, also have to check the kit before starting the instal to be sure the hose seal and nylon washer are there.The kit I first got didn't have those items in it , you can't buy just the hose and washer with out a week wait to get it from Mercury outboards.
The kit should have had them in it, but this kit must have been packed on a Friday smile.gif
Also when putting the lower body in place you have to start it then put the old upper body on to use as a spacer for the lock nuts. You then have to slowly tighten them down to get the lower body to set down into the lower housing of the gear case.The diameter of the lower pump body is just slightly larger than the lower unit casting, and the o-ring is there also has to seat down into the cavety.I just got it down to the o-ring was started then removed the old upper pump housing and followed the manual as to placing the new gaskets and impeller plate.After that it's a piece of cake, just torque the nuts in a clock wise patern tell seated all the way down and the torque wrench hits 30 in. pounds.
Benny

I have a question about our 1995 Merc 90 tiller. Should the water pump impeller be changed every other year? We asked a Mercury dealer if the water pump or impeller needed to be changed and he said it didn't, we bought the boat and motor used and have not replaced neither one. We have owned it for over 3 years.

I thought I was getting hosed yesterday when I picked up a new impeller for my 60 horse. My bill was $38 just for the impellar. I'll plan a little farther ahead and get it elsewhere next time. I thought I should have gotten two for that price. Asked the guy to make sure he didn't make a mistake. It was not mistake.

If I didn't need it so bad I'd had left it there.

The 60hp if it is the 4 cyl, it is the same as mine.In the manual it said to change it every 100 hours.It cost me a total of $100 for the water pump kit and a few other needed parts.But for just an impeller it should only have cost you $15.00 or $25.00 with gaskets.It is easy to change, just go to the library and loan out a manual, the let me know and I will send you a note with some things to watch for .
Benny

Borch, gee, you should have brought it here, I would have helped you.
One of these days we'll meet.

Anyway, a good reference for Mercury pricing is...MercuryPartsExpress web site, if you enter part # or serial # it will give you diagram of section and part cost, you can then order from one of the dealer listed.

Example, an impeller for a 1997 Mercury 60hp is...$ 19.50, sorry Borch, you paid too much.

Here's link:

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/ServiceParts/sph ome.asp?CID=

Anyway, I change my impeller every year, regardless of what a dealer or tech "guru" says, it's a $ 20.00 that takes 1/2 hour to install (with practice) in spring and will save THOUSANDS on a motor rebuild "kit" (average $ 2,000 for a new powerhead).

If you enter serial #, it will give choice of drawings of all the parts of your motor, it's very handy when you have to put something together and you don't know where and how it all go together.

------------------

Val Vignati
www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 06-06-2003).]

Valv,

Yeah I knew I was getting taken to the cleaners. But I needed the part. I think I'll order one again this fall and have on on hand so I don't find myself in a last minute pickle again.

I've been so busy getting myt place ready for graduation that I haven't moved my boat yet this year. Her grad party is on the 14th and I plan on being on the water the next day. I've gotta get it ready and on the water to make sure everything works before I head to Pike Bay on June 21.

Good Luck to you if you're still heading there in a couple of weeks. SOunds like the water is really low but things have inproved a bit the past couple of weeks.

Borch