Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOGEYE

GPS cable question??

5 posts in this topic

I have a Lowrance Globalmap100. It has the old serial cable. I have a newer VAIO computer that has only USB ports. I recently purchased a serial to USB converter cable and cannot get it to work. The driver that it came with doesn't work. I am running windows XP. Anyone else tried this? I have the speeds matched, 8data bits set, parity to none and have tried all 4 comm ports that the gps can use and it just won't work.

I would try hooking it all up with the GPS on. Then go to your device manager, look at that usb connection, right click, properties, reload the driver. Use disk from adapter if needed.

My CPU recognizes it as a HID(Human Interface Device) like a game controller. I Already tried what you sugg as well with no luck. Thanks!

Hogeye,

Try going into device manager and removing all the comm ports. Then go to add hardware and tell it to find new devices(make sure that your adapter is connected) it should find it and ask you for an install disk. Using those usb to serial devices are iffy at best, good luck.

If the device and the software allow, you could go to usb.

Another option is to see about getting a card for you PC that acts as a serial adapter, then it would be seen as a serial/comm port.

I really is a pain when the new PCs don't suuport the older technology.

I've tried everything mentioned so far and I think that I need to get a new GPS with the USB. I just got my globalmap100 with an insurance claim. Maybe I can return it.