• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eng. Well Water

Question

Hey folks - question?

Have a 21' glass Vee with MerCruiser I/O that takes in water from somewhere. Exterior boots look fine, bellows appear o.k. also - and it has not sunk sitting at the dock (yet). However, once I'm underway and look into the engine well there is more water there than desired, like lots.

Have looked close at engine [well area] while underway for leaks, open drain plugs, etc. all seems tight and I see no water coming in but if bilge is off it collect 'big-time'

Have been under the boat in dry dock and hull look o.k. Any clues as to where to look next?

Thanks - BB-LDF

6 answers to this question

Bill, I would check gimbal housing (the part where outdrive boltso onto, against transom), check if there's any leak there.

Also, how did you check bellows ? The upper (driveshaft) is the one you care, bottom is only for exhaust and even if broken it doesn't matter.
Try to tilt drive all the way up and check very well upper bellow boot, you might be surprised.

Valv - thank you the direction. Tuesday I'll be looking at the boat, real close, as I have pulled it out till I get this solved.

Valv, by the way are you the person that I wrote to earlier this year about a glass side-vent pane for my windshield? I'm stil looking if should you run across something.

I'll let you know what happens' on this latest challenge.

BB-LDF

A couple questions, Dose the boat leak when the motor is running, sitting at the dock with motor off, When you do find water feel it to see if its cool lake water or warm water from the engine.

Another thing to look at is your hose to your bulge pump. Keep in mind most bilge pumps are below water line. This is a problem when tru-hull fittings are installed to low on boats. There may be times your boats tru-hull fitting is under water. For instance when you take off and the boats stern drops and the bow raises till the boat gets up on plane. Or from waves. A simple fix is to run the hose from the pump up to the highest point in the stern and then down to the tru-hull fitting, making a loop.

This isnt a fix but, if you leave your boat at a slip its a good idea to have an automatic bilge pump.

Surface Tension - thanks for the info. The bilge-port area is one that I'll be looking at closely tomorrow also. The boat, by design, fits all the points that you've addressed here and at a slow troll on Lake Michigan with "low" bilge ports a crack in the hose or bad seal at port-hole could bring forth water. There is an auto-bilge installed as normally boat is in the lake from this coming weekend till the end of Sept.

I had this test in mind, silly in a way, but I thought of it for the bilge-ports, but never tried but now I will. That was - I was going to put 'corks' in the exterior holes to see if and what affect that may or may not have.

Anyway, starting tomorow I'll have three days there in Sheboygan to figure this out, I hope. With the suggestions and information received here from the various replies something good will happen - me thinks!!

Will post solution when it's found.

Again - thank you for the suggestions.

BB-LDF