• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I need a hydrofoil stabilizer?

cluelessfisherman

Question

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 165 tiller with a 50 Merc. The hole shot is decent considering it is only a 50 horse with an 11 pitch prop. The problem occurs when I try to trim up just a little to get that extra mile or two per hour top speed. I have had it gps clocked at 31 but it doesn't take long before it starts porpoising like crazy and the speed drops again. The only way I can keep it from porpoising is to keep it trimmed all the way down but then I run between 28-29 mph.

I realize that the stabilizer will help with the porpoising, but my question is if it will create enough drag to take the speed down on the top end - I would be defeating the purpose of wanting that extra mph. I also pull tubes with my boat and it struggles getting on plane - the person in the tube usually ends up rocking the tube to help the boat get on plane. I believe the stabilizer would help here as well.

Please advise.

------------------
Clueless - -

9 answers to this question

i had same problem with my boat and it was the not sure what it is called but on the motor bracket there are like 5 hole with a pin that goes through them my boat motor was in the third hole from the bottom and had a guy tell me to move it to the bottom hole and after that she was fine might want to check this out on your motor.. might just need an adjustment there..

That is pretty much typical when you over trim. I am no pro with the hydrofoil things, I understand that they do cause some drag which would bring down the top end. If you motor spins enough rpm you may be able to jump to the next pitch up on prop to get the added speed.

Clueless-
I have a hydrofoil set that you try out and take off my hands if you like. You have to drill 4 holes on a plate just above the prop on the lower unit (no big deal). I can bring it to Rainy next week. All you need is a drill/drill bit and it can be installed in five minutes.

I have not idea how your boat will respond to it. Seems like every boat is different.

Let me know.

Derek - I'm running at about 5200-5300 rpm's on top.

CD - I will have to take you up on that. There are holes there already - hopefully they match up. Do you have the hardware with them? If not, what do I need?

Thanks.

------------------
Clueless - -

When you are fully on plane the cavitation plate is not in the water and will have no effect at all. You can mess with engine height a little, or realize this is not a proformance rig and fish on. good luck

Clueless,
I'll find the hydrofoil and bring it with to Rainy. It's packed away somewhere from my move(s) last year.

I have the hardware for it (bolts/screws). All you need to bring is a drill and about a 1/4" drill bit just in case the holes don't match up.

Clueless,
I had a Alumacraft Magnum 165 with a 50 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I add a hydrofoil to it and it helped the holeshot a bunch without any ill effects on the top end. I would say its well worth the investment.