• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digger Anchors

protrapper

Question

I bought a couple of these anchors for my two boats. My friends all swear by them say there the best. Man they where $57.99 a piece at Fleet Farm. Hope they where worth the money.

Anyone have any good or bad experences with these? I have heard they can hang up good in rocks and you cant get them out! Any thoughts would be great.. Thanks...

6 answers to this question

PT-

I'm trying one out myself. I fish the rivers alot, and jump from wingdam to wingdam frequently, so pulling up a 25#+ anchor gets old, fast. I like the digger, as it's much lighter. Trying to get her to hold takes some practice, and A LOT of rope, depending on the current/depth. So far, I like it. Will be testing it on the Pond this weekend, as that will be a true test of it's abilities during a windy day up there.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

I have had really good luck on hard or rocky bottom. The key is to use the 5 times the water depth for the amount of rope to use. In my experience on mud bottom in windy conditions they will not hold at all. I use the 15 lb. and have a big boat an 1890 Yar Craft that weighs 2400 lbs fully rigged.

Bad experiences here. Unless they have improved that mechanism in them, here is what happens after a period of time.

Sand and gravel will work its way into that spring mechanism making it stiffer or tougher to "switch". When the ancher is placed in the water it will land with the diggers up and they will not fall to dig in, thus will not dig. They work good until that mechanism gets dirt in it, then they are no good. I have been through 2 of them, same thing with each. I gave them up about 6 years ago.

Here is how you can tell if yours is any good anymore. Hold it straight away from you and then flip it over. If the fins stay up, you got a bad one. They should easily fall do to gravity.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I might add that I WAS using the Richter anchor... but my brother decided to loose it one day. I just wanted to try the digger... but so far I'd still go with the Richter, even though it's 10# heavier.It's similar to the mushroom style, but instead of having the "bell"... it has short spikes sticking out of it. Just drop it and forget about it (not literally... thats what my bro did)
They have the Richter available at all the "Big Name" places around the cities.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

I have a Richter that works very well on the rocks. Other then that I use an old style 32 lb anchor for gravel and mud. The Richter is a great anchor just make sure you get a heavy enough one for your boat. They are perfect for rocks/rubble.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com