• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Charging Deep Cycle Batteries

Question

What is the best way to "break-in" a new deep cycle trolling battery?
I have heard a couple things: 1) Charge to full charge first then use. 2) Drain to dead first then charge to full.
Does anyone know the best way, or doesn't it matter?
Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

4 answers to this question

That was a very informative HSOforum on batteries!
I have always made an effort to "drain" a new battery on the first use, then charge it to the max. I have had excellent luck with this method and my battery has been extremely strong for a couple years now. I have used this battery for my bow mount in an all day tournament at 75-100% power bashing waves, and the battery still kept going later that day. I was amazed.

I knew little about batteries until i landed interstate as a sponsor. Never let a wet cell fully discharge. Always charge your batteries after you use them. Even if you only use them for a few hours. Onboard chargers are a must for optimal charging. That is a very good HSOforum. Thanks for the link..

AJ. I found out the hard way about batteries.
to make it simple, have a load test done when you buy it. if its ok/full put in the boat and go. But make sure the sales rep. knows what he's doing, I purchased a battery from someone who had returned a bad battery, (WAL-MART) Some kid working on the weekend didn't know Jack**** about 'em. cost me pre-fish time.
If you fish a lot you might want to consider about extra batteries on the side. this work best for me when fishing tournaments, prefish all day, come in and swapped with 2 fully charged batt. slow trickle charge works best.

keep your line wet. jhawk7