• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great Mechanic Shop

Valv

Question

I had the most wonderful experience with a marine shop. I have a Merc 15hp 4 stroke which I didn't winterize properly so it was hard to idle and run. Also a engine knock at full throttle that got me very worried. Well I toke it to Pierz Marine in Shakopee, they rebuilt carb., adjusted valves, and tested boat on lake for a long time. They put approx. 10hrs labor. Finally charged me for only $ 152.00 !!!! I was expecting a $ 300.00 bill or more. I sincerely recommend this shop, they are very courteus and knowledgeable. Best of everything I had the boat in for a week, everywhere else I was looking 1 month at least (bye, bye fishing).

Val

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 07-30-2001).]

18 answers to this question

Yes, the knock went away. Carb was so badly gummed out they had to rebuild it completely, ( I tried SeaFoam and other cleners) so it was running too lean and putting max rpm. at 5900 instead of 5500.

She runs like a kitten now even at WOT.

Just courious? Did the knock go away? My brother is a mechanic at a north metro shop and told me merc was having problems with the camshafts in the four stroke.

.....nice post.....Valv? what age is your motor ? I have a '98 4-stroke with 6 hours on it and the idle isn't good, and , it takes two pulls to start it and it only starts on high-end throttle...anything sound familiar ?........I may have to take it to
your guy.....I bought mine from Olympic Marine (in the same area)- I'm not happy with them for a number of reasons....

Is everyone experiencing Merc problems or what? Our family bought a pontoon new this year and had a 50 horse Mercury put on it. We didn't get a four-stroke, but maybe the problem with ours is the same as the 4? Anyway, the darn thing doesn't idle - it will miss and die - even when it is warmed up and we slow down to a low speed it will konk out. Lately at full throttle is has started missing a little and putting (you can feel it in the boat more than anything.) I really don't know that much about motors, but at the low idle, it doesn't seem like it is getting enough gas. We bought the pontoon from Cochrans in Walker and have had run arounds with them a few times - first they delivered it with a 40 horse even though we payed for a 50 - then shortly after this all started with the motor, they came and picked it up and said they found the problem and fixed it - I never asked what they exactly fixed and didn't really care as everything is under warranty and didn't cost me anything, well nothing changed. Any ideas?? Could it be carb problems?? Fuel line? Bad plugs already?

Clueless - -

BIG, mine is a 99' with approx 25hrs on it.
The fault was mine, I thought 4 stroke doesn't need to be winterized.....boy, was I wrong. It did idle very bad but and also started after 2 or 3 pulls. I probably should have chosen an electric start, but I was concerned about weight (battery, etc.) on a 14' light weight Lund. Here I was wrong also, since I still have to carry a battery for finders, trolling motors, etc.

Lesson learned.
Try Pierz, you won't be disappointed (at least I didn't). I know the dealer you mentioned.....that's why I didn't go there.

Val

Both mercury amd yamaha 4 strokes have been having problems with rough idling. Thew problem stems from there very small carberator jets. If you leave fuel in the both for more than 3 weeks it will start to gum up the jets and create the gum up problem. If you own one run the motor dry after each outing, using seafoam or other fuel treatment to prevent gumming and clean jets and go fishing alot so you always have fresh fuel. Apparently fuel starts to varnish with 2-3 weeks of purchase based on what the mechanic told my brother when he got his carbarator cleaned out for the second time this season.

Good Luck!

I have a Merc 15 horse 4 stroke pull start on a 16' Lund. I didn't get electric start for the same reasons and that was probably a mistake. Motor starts on the first pull (if I get the gear shift positioned just perfect)and runs great. My problem is being sure I have it in neutral. The shop says everything is fine and it is adjusted properly. If I remember to bump the shift lever toward reverse before I pull it, it is usually ok.
Doesn't seem right to me.

.......thanks for all the great posts.....
and,,,the owner's manual talks -alot- about
NOT USING the alcohol fuels.....it seems ironic that the high prices we pay for these
new motors seems so outrageous - considering all the problems we are having and in the
days gone by some of the older motors ran forevever - smaller horsepower, of course...

WELL I PUT THE "BEST GAS" IN IT BUT THIS MORNING I TOOK MY DAUGHTER FOR ONE LAST SPIN AROUNG THE LAKE AND SOMETHING WENT SOUTH BIG TIME! I FORGOT MY OARS AT HOME AND THANK GOD DENNY LENT ME A PAIR OUT OF ONE OF HIS BOATS. ANYWAY I GUESS I'LL BE (PAYING) THESE FOLKS A VISIT MONDAY MORNING.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

This not a commercial, I just want to share my experience. About 10 years ago I started using Seafoam in all my small engines and outboards. Just a couple of ozs. to 5 gals. of gas it has totally eliminated all carb problems. In the spring or fall I pull the spark plugs and spray in some fogging oil, turn the motot over a few times and leave the gas in the tank mowers, outboards, weedeater, power auger, all get the same treatment.

I hear ya Dennis. I've had SeaFoam do some serious miracles on lawnmowers, snowblowers and four wheelers. Couldn't get 'em started until I flooded the carbs with SF. I think it's great stuff.

.....I put Seafoam into my new '98 Mercury
4 stroke about 5 days ago and into the gas tank, have run about 6 gallons through it and it seems to be getting better...we'll see. On the first start of the day the motor starts on the lowest setting - after that, it will only restart on the highest setting... idle is poor but it doesn't kill...

I am new to the boating world. My wife and I bought a 2001 Sylvan with a '99 Mercury 75 horse from Olympic Marine in Rogers. It is not a four stroke. My question is after I cruise around for a while and I stop and put it in nuetral after a minute or so it starts to choke a little bit and sometimes I can hear a knocking sound. Personally, I dont think this is normal maybe it is. Any suggestions on it. Like I said I am new to this and am learning something new everytime I go out. Thanks

...took advice about Pierz Marine in Shakopee and brought in my, less than 25 hours, 1998 - 4 stroke, 25 hp Mercury. (Incidentially, this motor was purchased from Olympic in Savage and returned to them on one other occasion - they left out a major part on the prop and lower unit). Pierz told me the motor had a bad Start Coil and one of the 'jets' was missing. It took Pierz about a week to diagnose and fix it.....which is pretty good. What more can you say about Olympic ?

....FOLLOWUP: Pierz Marine in Shakopee fixed the 25hp perfectly without any hassles (it was under warranty.) The work took less than
a week.....outstanding.

I think this post should have been "who hasn't had problems with Mercs?" I've never had to add anything to any of my motors to avoid issues on the water, and that is why I am not, and will never be, a Mercury owner. Nuff said.

It's always been a common practice for Yamaha and Mercury to build parts for each other. Mercury builds lower units, Yamaha powerheads. Many motors and models (including Mariner) have Yamaha motor. Many more Yamaha have Merc lower unit (that's why many props are the same also).