Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valv

What line floats more ??

7 posts in this topic

When you are trolling, what line floats more ?

Mono 8lbs. or Spiderwire 8lbs.

I tend to think Spiderwire has less floating tendence, but sometimes it gets me puzzled ?

Thanks.

Val

Valv, I have no scientific facts to back it up, but I believe mono floats more than the fireline. I have tried all sorts of lines and when it comes all diferent application. A lure will run deeper when casting or trolling with the super lines compared to mono in the same test. Granted the diameter is less. But I believe the body difference in the two makes the super lines less bouyant. Ever tried the Power pro line? It is some wonderful stuff.

I would have to disagree with the theory that mono floats more than the superlines.
Yesterday, I did a little experiment in my sink (I know my sink is not the same as a lake but bear with me). I took three lines of equal length and approximately equal diameter. One was 10 lb mono, one was 20 lb Fireline (a fused line), and one was 50 lb Whiplash (a braided line).
I put all three into the sink at the same time and checked on them every 5 minutes. I would also push each one under momentarily to be sure water was getting to every part of the line.
After about 15 minutes, the mono started to sink. The fused and braided line continued to float for over 2 hours of being put in the water.

It would appear, and I always assumed that superlines would float better. Maybe there are other factors that come into play in a fishing situation (dirt, algae, etc. on the line), but I found that mono sinks the fastest (except for flourocarbon wich sinks right away). Maybe I too much time on my hands smile.gif.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Yes, when you lay mono in a sink of water it will absorb water and gravity will take its affect. When we talk about mono vs superlines "floating" we are talking the resistence it has when pulled through the water. Mono has much more resistance than superline. Therefor it doesnt push cranks down as deep as a superline.The mono actually gets pushed up. I am curious about the fireline. I use fusion which is a fused line. Isnt fireline a woven braid? How do you like the whiplash? Does it fray at all? I want to try it for muskies.

I get what you mean wink.gif. I guess I had to read more carefully.

Once Fireline is "broken-in" it looks a little like a braid, but is actually a fused line. I really do like the Whiplash. You have to go bigger than you think for it to be effective. I use no lighter than 65 for bass, and no lighter than 80 for muskie. It works great for both. It frays very little and is very thin diameter (80 lb = 17 lb mono).

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Sounds good. I will give the 80 a try. I like the idea of getting alot of it on a baitcaster.