• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's a crankbait?

Aquaman01

Question

Okay - this question isn't as daft as it seems. When I was in my teens and starting to learn angling methods apart from weight/hook/worm I started checking out different lures, and they fell into 5 basic nomenclatures -

Spoons (any & all)
Spinners (includes spinnerbaits and rigs)
Flies (dry, wet, floating 'poppers')
Jigs (anything with an integral weighted head)

and Plugs (a body like a small fish..sort of)

Now, by modern definition, is a 'crank' a plug? Are stickbaits cranks? Is a crank a crank if you troll it not crank it?

Are these all (floating, diving, popping, rattlin', jointed, tap-dancing) still just plugs?

Thank you and I'll take my answer off the air. grin.gif

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

4 answers to this question

Aquaman, good question...personally, when I think of plugs, I think of old school baits like the bass o rino (SP) and other baits made of wood with the lip built into the bait.

I divide my cranks into three categories
1. stick or minnow baits
2. Shad baits
3. wide wobble or bass baits

These are not the "right" way by any means, this is just my personal way.

I would also be curious to see if there is an official title for all of these.

It's all I CAN think about! A fishing outing gets the jonez down for about a day - then the monkey is on my back with a vengeance!

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Plugs>=Cankbaits
Hard Jerkbaits+floater+suspending+sinking= Plugs
Rattle traps=Plugs
Fat Cranks=Plugs
Thin Cranks=Plugs
Topwaters=Plugs but are Not Crankbaits, therefore Plugs are >=Crankbaits or all crankbaits are plugs but not all plugs are crankbaits.

Plugs defined: Hard bodied lures that sink float or dive and soft plastics with a lip or combination of hard and soft body.