• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Minnkota Remotes?

Question

Anyone used these new remotes for the Minnkotas? They hook onto the existing trolling motor and they have a small remote you can hook onto your fishing rod/belt/whatever.

The sales guy at Scheels in Moorhead almost talked me into one yesterday but I thought I'd check around for reliability tests or opinions. I used to have one of the cordless Minnkota foot pedals and I had nothing but trouble with that thing, so I'm kind of hesitant.

So, anyone try these yet? Someone must have, because the sales guy told me they'd sold about 100 of them in 3 days.

3 answers to this question

I've got a new one on a new boat and although I haven't used if for a full day, I have used it about an hour or so and it had no problems with it. It did what I told it to do, although ergonomically it seems to want to sit in my hand backwards (I end up holding it upside down where right is left and left is right) I like it. I plan on losing a lot of remotes though. Bottomline is for me it's way better than the foot pedal, I don't like the foot pedal on my autopilots I've had, the speed is hard to control when you just want to bump speed a little bit, I end up reaching down with my hand to do it. I'd recommend the copilot and if you look back a few pages there is a topic on this from a few weeks ago.

I purchased the Copilot from MinnKota this spring and have used it several times. I think it is on of my best purchases. I can control the boat from anywhere in the boat. I think this remote will be commonplace shortly if there are no long term bugs in it. I have it mounted on my fishing pole right in front of the reel. They provide three mounts for this purpose. I also sent in the promotional bonus form and received the free 2nd remote. Buy it, you'll like it

Okay, so I broke down and got one. If there's any news after I install and use it I'll post it.

Thanks for the comments everyone.