Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scoot

Salmon spoon/flutter spoon

7 posts in this topic

Who makes an extremely light spoon for trolling behind downriggers? I'm looking for something like a "five of diamonds"-type spoon that has virtually no weight. I'd like three and four inch versions.
Scoot

There are tons of trolloing spoons on the market, mostly aimed at downrigger fishing for great lakes trout and salmon. Pro king, northport nailers, coyote spoons, diamond king, the list goes on. If you are inland and local tackle shops don't have them, Cabrlas and bass pro do. If you specificaly want a "daredevil" shape spoon, that may be tough. Most flutter spoons are long and narrow, but come in every color combo imaginable.

Finn spoons, Diamond-King, K-Stars, Sutton's, Evil-Eyes. Theres more but most use the same type spoon design as the K-Stars and D-Kings. In Duluth you can find Jim's Flash-Traks. In the past few years patterns and painting techniques have really evolved. Translucent over chrome and nickle finishes with clear coats have really been hot. I started striping and repainting my chipped up Superior spoons. Its become another hobby out of controll. smile.gif

Stinger Scorpion's by Concept tackle, the Wally's just love these things!

Fisky

Which ones will be the lightest? I'd like one that will hold its action going as slow as possible.
Thanks for the replies.
Scoot

Some of those Sutton's that ST mentions are paper thin, probably the thinnest of all those mentioned. The Scorpions I use have superb action at very slow speeds, I've trolled these out on the mud behind riggers/dipseys while also pulling boards with snapweight/spinner combos at less than 1 mph.

Fisky

The Evil Eye and the Swedish spoon are thin too. You can bend them to fit your trolling speed, in fact you wont have a choice but to bend them back after a laker bends them all up on you. smile.gif

Fisky I'll have to look into them Scorpions.