• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat landings/launching

maxx rpm

Question

Was out saturday on a north metro lake, and saw two mistakes that a lot of people need to think about.
1-We waited an additional 15 minutes waiting as a boater loaded and unloaded his boat numerous times, as the boat was not going on the trailer straight. It was a single side console and he was powering on the roller trailer. Being on a level plane with his boat, it was clearly evident that there was too much weight on the one side and leaning at least 10". If it were winched up, it would go perfectly straight, and save others from a long wait at the ramp.
2- When that boat left, we were next at the ramp. Going to get my truck, some young guys with a pontoon pull up and ask if we will move our boat so that they may launch. It was like,,NO, wait your turn. I treat launches the same as a stop sign, first one there is first, second, second, etc.. This includes people putting in and taking out. They did not arrive at the ramp until after we were waiting for 20+ minutes, and after we took the boat out, and they launched, they blocked off the landing while they put the batteries, vests, coolers, etc. into the pontoon. Be ready before making your approach, and use some simple common sense, and descency towards others.

I actually have come to expect this poor bahavior, and feel a little slighted when it doesnt happen. It doesnt affect me anymore, but is strange why they would choose to do things that way. Be kind to others..

12 answers to this question

Yea I heard what your saying... Here in Ma. when you are trying to use the state boat ramps it can be a real pain in the neck. Not only do you have to plan for the tides to have enough water, but the wind and current can make for lot's of fun as well. Some people that don't have anything else to entertain themselves, come down to the ramps just to sit and watch the idiots with their boats. It is funny sometimes to see most of them taking three times the normal amount of time to get their boats on or off. If you have a good trailer and know what your doing, winching your boat on is the best way. I saw a guy try about five times to drive his boat on and he still ended up getting a nice big scratch in his hull! I just walk my 20 foot boat around and put the cable on and up she goes. I think people are afraid of getting wet so they want to drive their boat on. I don't care about the water or the crabs that come up to nibble at my toes.

Wishin2BFishin

maxx rpm, I have a simular thing happen to me this weekend on the river. There are some really rude people out sometimes but also rookies. I feel bad for the rookies and will help them but, there is just some lakes and times that are not the best to learn. There was a guy two weeks ago on Prior that was a first timer and other people were talking so the guy who was having a hard time loading his boat could hear, saying I wish the dumb #$ would get off the ramp. There were kids around and I thought it was in poor taste. I know this was not exactly what you were talking about but I needed to vent also.

If you know what you are doing it isn't hard at all to drive a boat on the trailer have been doing it that way for years. I don't think I have ever had more that 5 feet of rope off of my winch.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

If the boat was that far out of balance by one individual sitting in the counsel position then it must not have been a very large boat, there for meaning two guys could have easily repositioned it once on the trailer and away from the ramp area.

Also, if they wouldn't have submerged the trailer as much, they could have easily powered the boat onto the trailer straight and centered the first time.

I like to keep the trailer so that the water is just below the rearest rollers on the trailer, and then power the boat right up to the winch pillar, hook up, and pull her out.

Ahhh well. It's early in the year. What can ya do. grin.gif

The only complaint I ever have about the boat launch is people not having their stuff ready. Thats it...

Have you stuff in the boat, batteries hooked up, and be ready to go when its your turn.

You don't have to fly in and fly out...just be ready to go...back in and out as best you can and let the next person go.

Only thing that bothers me is when a guy blocks a ramp to take his boat cover off....load the poles, bait, life jackets...jumps in to hook up his battery, trims the motor....etc. Have a great opener!

I have my first new boat 18' w/a 3100# roller trailer. I had a 16' with a trailer that was too small for the boat and somewhat crooked so I had my own little specialized speedy system.

Two question s for the new boat/trailer:

I know to put the plug in, take off the tie downs and unhook the safey chain before putting your boat in, but, with a roller, you never unhook a boat from the trailer before putting in, correct? Many times you' see a Ranger be unhooked from the trailer, they back up, stop in the water and off it comes. You can't do this w/ a roller unless you want to fish on the boat ramp correct?

Also, when putting the boat on the trailer - whether driving or cranking - you just want the rear roller in the water and no further, correct?

- Just trying not be be one of "those guys" guy

That's correct. NEVER unhook the boat from the trailer winch or safety chain until the boat is in the water.

I like to keep my rollers when loading so the furthest rear rollers are just OUT of the water. Drives on straight and true everytime.

good luck and congrats on the new rig. smile.gif

I was not saying to not drive a boat onto a trailer, just if you can not do it, just use the winch instead of taking half an hour going on and off. In the case i mentioned, it was clear that a boat that far out of balance will not go on straight. About three minutes is all it should take to back in, load or unload and be out of the way of the next guy.
I realize that a public launch is open to the public and for all. I believe that anyone has the right to use it, but not to the extent that it prevents others from also using in a timely manner. I also know that most of the rude ones that i come across are not new at boating, is just how they are. I know that no one that you would ask would say that they take a long time at the launch, so was just asking that everyone take notice and make sure that you are doing things quickly when a ramp is busy.

I know what you are saying. That is part of the reason I don't like the opener. To many people with new toys and don't know how to run any of them.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Here is the beef that bothers me!... When you are wating in line to use the ramp on either side and someone is holding their boat to the dock in front of the access. Leaving that landing stall unable to be used untill they move. When it would be just as easy to hold the boat to the other side of the dock where it would not be in the way!

Great comments guys. You are right, have your stuff ready in the boat before you back down, get the boat in the water, and get out of there. That is it!

I have to tell you though, this past weekend I launched my brand new Crestliner SportFish for the Wisconsin opener and I was nervous as #&!!. I am a rookie, never launched a boat before and I was just waiting for some yahoo to start yapping at me to get my butt in gear. Believe it or not, I made it down on the first try and was ready to go in minutes. But the pressure was on!

I guess my point is, at some point we were all rookies launching boats, and if you see someone having trouble because they are new to this, help your fellow sportsmen out. If I was going to have trouble, I would hope that someone would be kind and lend a hand instead of yelling at you. But, someone putting stuff in the boat at the launch, that is another issue.

Have a great season.

We all understand first timers, we were all like that once or twice. Main rule for Ramp Etiquette is common sense.

Load everything before approaching ramp.
PUT PLUG IN BOAT.
Take all straps off back of boat except for winch strap.
Backup to ramp
Start motor while boat is still hooked to strap, check everything works, if motor doesn't run for any reason, it's good to leave ramp clear for other people.
Release strap and roll or let boat float away.
Park your vehicle.

To pull boat out:

See if anybody is at the ramp and wait your turn.
Tie boat at dock or have driver dropped off to get vehicle.
Take tailgate down and/or open topper back window, if possible, to see where you are backing up trailer.
Load boat on trailer.
Hook winch strap and secure boat.
Move whole rig into parking lot, away from ramp, to let people take their turn loading/unloading.
Remove all needed from boat.
Strap it down to trailer securely.
Drive home happy.

Many things are NO NO at ramp, here's few of them.
DON'T FORGET PLUG BEFORE YOU PUT BOAT IN WATER.
Don't star your motor on trailer while waiting in line to get to ramp (bye, bye motor).
Don't establish a mechanic shop at dock trying to fix motor that doesn't run.
Don't unhook winch strap/safety chain until boat is in water.
Drive trailer w. boat back and forth easily, no jerking, fast takeoff, or slamming on brakes.