• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More wiring problems

SpringerGuy

Question

I just got a new Warrior with a Warrior trailer. It has a flat 5 wire plug on the trailer. I didn't even know there was such a thing! Anyway I have a plug-in insert thing in my wireing harness. When I wired my pickup I cut the wires off leading to my old four wire plug then spliced in the 5 wire plug. The extra blue wire goes to my backup lights and releases the disc brakes when I put the pickup in reverse and allows the trailer to be backed up. I had a extra wire coming off the plup-in insert. It is red and must run my stop lights, so I spliced it into the brown wire (tail lights) on the flat plug. Now when I step on the brakes my parking lights come on, my radio clock dims, and a dinger goes of when I open my door and have my foot on the brake pedal. No stop lights on the trailer. The tail lights come on when I step on the brake.

The five wires are ground, left turn, right turn, tail, and that blue one that is for my back up lights.

Any ideas on what I need to do differant?

Thanks in advance,

PoleBender

7 answers to this question

Tom, you say hooked up the red wire to your brown on the trailer? That would only give running lights when you hit the brakes. Your green/yellow should double as brake lights from the truck. Do your surge brakes have a battery? See if you have a constant 12V coming from the red wire. I may be confused here. Is there a red wire on both 5 wire plugs? Sounds like with your current config, your sending voltage head to head. More details please...

chunky

My ground should be good. Everything works fine when I disconnect the red wire.

Chucky,
There are five wires coming of the plug-in insert. A blue, yellow, red, brown, & green. There are five wires on the flat plug. A white ground, blue for back up lights, left turn, right turn, & a brown for tail lights. I was thinking that brown doubled up as tail and brake lights. Do I need to hook up the red to both turn signals?

PoleBender

Nope, lets start with leaving the mystery (red) wire out of the picture for a minute. Go ahead and hook-up color to color minus the red altogether and see what we get. I'm gonna guess the lights work normally. Next, if you can, physically trace the red wire where it comes on to the trailer and lets see where that goes. Nevermind the truck side yet.

chunky