Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOGEYE

Splicing Transducer Wires?

9 posts in this topic

Was wondering if splicing a trans wire will affect the performance? Have a Garmin 100 on the boat with a crushed wire.

No you can not spice your wires, they must remain whole (HSO). It has something to do with resistants or something like that.

PoleBender

Hogeye,
I have spliced my Lowrwnce trolling motor mounted transducer wire 2 or 3 times and have not seen much change in its performance.
Just slide a shrink fit tube up the wire, seperate the twisted outside wires from the center single wire,solder the 2 center wires together,tape them with a little electrical tape so that they can not contact the outer wires,twist the outer wires together and solder them, pull the shrink fit tube over them both and heat it with a lighter.
Fixed!!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I had to splice the wires on my Lowrance X91 to extend the power. 18 gauge wire worked fine. Just used butt splice connectors and electrical tape.

What we're talking about is transducer cable which is a coaxial cable. Tom has a point regarding resistance in that coaxial cable is tuned (matched) to a set resistance (ohms). Your finder beams at a specific frequency and at a specific power. The (tuned) coax allows for the least amount of resistance at those variables. When you splice coax, you change the resistance value of the coax.. That being said, depending on how good a job you do splicing, the performance difference probably isn't noticable. I would bet on some of the bigger more powerful units (ocean type) you would notice for sure.

chunky

Yep. It's tough to make a good splice. I splice underground high voltage and there's an knack to it.

chunky

The wire isn't a coax, but has 4 or 5 different wires wrapped as one. I spliced each one and it works fine.

Good deal! Interesting it's not coax. Haven't seen a ducer with multiconductor wires. Were they twisted in pairs?