• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

feathers/fur for jig making

big_fish_guy

Question

not sure if I should have put this in the open water or here, but here goes.
I have a bunch of jigs, crappie size. senic tackle ones to be exact. I plan on using rubber bodies for some, but I want to make my own flu-flus and tinsil tail jigs too. Where can a guy buy some of this stuff around the metro area? Keep in mind I am in Hastings, so S.E. metro locations preferred. Either post response here, or email me with specific stores please. Also, please post any ideas on making these. I like to learn from others mistakes.
Thanks,
[email protected]

8 answers to this question

You'll need a vise of some kind - I use a needlenose pliers with a big-a$$ rubber band on it, and clamp that to my desk. Start a wrap with thread just like starting a spool on your reel, now wrap a few times. Stick the hair, feathers or tinsel into the wrap, keep wrapping. When you're about 5 or 6 wraps from being done, lay a loop of monodown with the loop pointed towards where you're wrapping to (jig head). Wrap over that mono 5 or six times and stick the end of your thread through the mono loop - pull. Snip, trim and apply a little clear nail polish.

Repeat above until yer good at it. I'm still trying. grin.gif

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Big Fish,

The above post is a good way to start. I would even suggest that you buy one of the many books available out there that shows you more about tying hair.

I do a little of it myself and found that using a vice or a home made device to hold you jig in place is something for sure you want to purchase. Also a fly tying bobbin will help you keep better control of your thread.

Good luck and keep trying.

Jeff Beckwith
Scenic Tackle

just go and buy yourself one of those fly-tying kits they sell. I took a class on fly-tying in high school, and have made a lot of my own crappie jigs since then. plus a fly-tying kit will most likely include some of the aterials you will need.

------------------
"America is our team, and if you aren't gonna root for your team, then you should get the he!! out of the stadium."

~Southpark