• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Lining

Question

I was woundering what exactly I need to get started in hand lining? I mainly fish pool 4 near Red Wing and watch the handliners consistantly catch larger fish. I have checked around for the equipment, but am having trouble finding it. Also, I have heard of the "Hand Liners Bible". Is it a book or just a term used by hand liners? Any help would be appreciated.
mw

5 answers to this question

Handlining is using a spring loaded reel with 200lb rubber coated wire and a pound and a quarter weight to get to the bottom. To that wire you attach a couple mono leads, that go back to floating raps. Well, usually we use floating raps, other things work. You then just drive slowly into the current and bounce the weigh off the bottom. When you get one, you pull it in by hand. Seems easy, can be tough! It is a very effective way to fish the river. In fact, we handline almost every time we hit the river. We combine that with Jig fishing usually but handliners are tough to beat in a tournament on the river.

As with anything, the more you do it, the better you will get at it. There are a lot of variables that you have to take into consideration, such as lead lengths, plug types, etc. It is really a lot of fun!

As for the equipment, it is made by Riviera and it comes in a complete package. Do a little search and you will find it. I didn't want to make this post to long but if you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer them.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Scott,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Do you guys do this all summer long or just during high water? What pound test and lenghts do you recommend starting with for the the mono leads?
This is my first year of serious river fishing, so I am trying to pick up some of the tricks as quickly as I can.
mw

I should have known that Scott would be posting here. Scott, do you have any rods anymore, or do you just drag that anchor around until you hit one of those walleyes over the head? smile.gif

Have you been up here around Brainerd doing any spring fishing? Next time you are around look me up. I'll bring the rods if you need to borrow one. wink.gif

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Well look who showed up, Adam Johnson,LOL! He buddy, you should give it a try for bass sometime. I got two Dandy Large Mouth last night, 4.3 and 3.9 handlining in the River. I thought I had a real fish on, what a dissapointment it was when they came up Bass grin.gif

Still have rods Adam, I guess I am actually going to have to use them out on Big Stone this weekend. I have a tournament out there.

As for leader material. I like to use Mason Leader Material in 12 lb. Others use 20 lb XT, but that Masons is good stuff. You really don't need that heavy of test, is the diameter of the line that is important. Light line tangles easy. We use leads anywhere from 7-40ft depending on the water clarity, current and time of year.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com