• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

roller or bunk trailer?

fatwalleye

Question

11 answers to this question

I prefer rollers for ease of loading and unloading, but have seen cracked hulls due to a lack of support. In fact while I was trying to sell a boat for my brother one time, a guy saw it was on a roller trailer and immediately began inspecting where the rollers supported the boat and pointed out a very subtle crack in one spot. Even though it was a name brand boat (not a Lund or Alumacraft) in my estimation the hull was inferior so that probably contributed to the problem as much as the rollers.

I like bunks much better. Have had two shorelander rollers and they never load straight without a lot of dinking around. My bunks always load fast and straight. I've never been to a landing that I couldn't float the boat off quickly and then drive right on for loading.

If your concerned about shallow landings go with the bunk trailer with the lift roller system. There is a line of rollers under the keel that you can crank up with a separate winch and the boat will roll off. I have this option on my ranger and like knowing it's there just in case but haven't needed it yet.
ccarlson

Hands down, bunk trailer for me. I've had both and will probably never go back to a roller system unless it's a hybrid like ccarlson mentioned. Heavy winds or big waves don't matter with a bunk - point the nose between the guides and she's straight every time. Wind and waves were always a nightmare with my roller trailer.

I like rollers. I can roll my 16 fter in and out of a foot of water. You'll need enough water to float your boat in order to get it off a bunk trailer. Thats a major concern for me concidering some of the landing I use.
If your having problems getting your boat straight on a roller trailer its usually because your backing the trailer into the water to far.

I would recommend a bunk tailer. Bunk Trailers support the hull better than rollers. I have never had a problem launching or loading at boat ramps, even with 19' alum. boat. I suppose if you wanted to launch in less than 3' of water then a roller would be an advantage. Getting a boat to load straight on a bunk trailer isn't that difficult if it is adjusted properly, and if you back the trailer into the water to the correct water depth.

Myself I have the bunk style for my 20' Jonboat and have never had a problem, I launch into the Minnesota River 40-50 times a year, I get "mudded out" before I can't launch anymore-2' of water is all you need. Straight and fast.

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass

Any new style roller trailer will load straight with eas. It is the older rollers that sit high up that people have a problem with. If you even half a half decent built hull you shouldnt have to worry about wear from the rollers, as long as you strap the back down and minimize bouncing. Rollers are also nice when you need to get into shallow landings and when the water gets low like its looking like it will get this summer without any decent rain.

depends on your boat, I had a 19' fiberglas that loaded on its bunk trailer great. but i have a 14 foot aluminum that is much easier to trailer on a roller style.

with the rangers and such that trailer is custom built for the boat so the bunks work wonderfully.

but my 14' crestliner was a nightmare to load with the bunks until i added side guides. the aluminum boat has a relatively flat bottom at the transom where the newer boats now have a mod-V shape in the transom area.

With all that in mind, the type of trailer is dependant of the type, size and material the boat is made from. If its a fiberglaas boat only use bunks.

I've had both a roller and bunk trailer. I do prefer the bunk, but I agree that if you regulary use a shallow landing I would think twice about using a bunk.