Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rickmp

backlash

17 posts in this topic

Anyone have any advice for reducing backlash when using a baitcaster? I grew up with spinning reels, and can't seem to get the hang of using a baitcaster. I Always end up with major backlash.

I have three words for you: Practice, Practice and Practice. I, too, had recently bought a bait-casting reel and have been learning how to cast. I also posted the same question a couple of weeks ago under the heading of: Abu Garcia Baitcaster

When practicing, use a heavy weight; it makes casting easier to learn. Also, start out by allowing your thumb to ride on the line as you cast. It takes some time, but you will soon figure out how much pressure is enough without cutting your cast too short. I also figured out that cast sidearm was a lot easier than overhead. Once I got the side arm casting down, I began to move the rod up until I was casting overhead. Sounds kinda stupid but it worked for me. Good luck and have fun.

as a starting point, use a baitcaster for medium to heavy lures. Save lighter lures for a spinning rod. Then adjust the tension of the reel either through the spool tension knob or through the magnetic dial on the side if equipped so that the lure falls at a slow speed when held straight out and the release button is pushed. If it falls fast, tighten. If it doesn't move, loosen it slightly.

Then when casting, don't snap the lure, lob it until you get the hang of it. No matter what, you will get some backlashes especially if you cast into the wind.

Also thumb the line slightly as it casts and then stop the spool with the thumb as the lure lands.

ccarlson

[This message has been edited by ccarlson (edited 04-29-2003).]

Make sure you are using a baitcaster that is made for casting. I have several baitcasters that I use for jigging and wouldn't dream of trying to cast.

I good casting baitcaster is usually more expensive, but worth the money if you are set on casting them.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Tip to untangle the backlash: Always pull the loop...next backlash you get look and find where the loop of line is pull that and 9 out of 10 you will loosen it up and be able to untangle a lot easier. It may work so well that you'll enjoy backlashes because you are so good at getting them out.

thanks for the tips guys, I'll give them a try. It sounds like patience and practice are going to be keys. I'll keep trying till I get it.

Also for removing backlashes, place your thumb on the spool and keep slight tension while pulling out your line. I was skeptical at first but this seems to work for me.
JC

If you are new to baitcasters I would recommend a reel with a spool brake on it. It can help you learn to cast and not get as many backlashes. Then once you have mastered it you can turn the brake off completely. To help you determine how tight you should have the brake you point your rod up at a 45 degree angle and hit the free spool. Once whatever bait you are using hits the floor the spool should stop turning -- (not cause a small backlash). If it keeps turning you have the brake to loose. If the bait doesn't fall to the floor you have the brake too tight.

actually bbear, I hadn't heard about letting it hit the floor, so it was another good tip, like all the others. thanks!

My backslashes decresed when I switched to a heavier mono line. After that I went to a mono backer with Fireline and that helped too. Quality line does make a difference.

[This message has been edited by say_der (edited 04-30-2003).]

If you are still learning dont waste a good spool of fireline, however fireline is easier to untangle when if it is not knotted up on the spool. The only real key to not backlashing it learing the hand-eye coordination and spool brake. Set your brake at a reasonable tension but you must be able to feel what your spool is doing while the lure is in the air. Keep your thumb just rubbing on the spool at all times to realize that your spool is going faster than the lure, then adjust your brake accordingly. Basically you just have to get a feel for your reel because they are all different and know the momentum of what you are throwing.

If you are still having trouble put a small strip of black tape across the spool with about 25-30 yards of line on top. So when you have your next backlash it doesnt go in so deep.

Anybody ever try Reel Magic? It's a spray that's supposed to take memory out of lines, which in turn helps prevent or minimize back lashes. I had heard that it works, so I bought some. I haven't decided if I'm the sucker or not. Maybe after this weekend.

MJ

MJ,
I use reel magic on a regular basis. Even running a line with a swivel doesn't prevent some of the twisting. Try it on a line with lots of memory, and you'll see. I also found that especially with a baitcaster, I have easier and longer casts using it.

rickmp,
When you do get good at the freespool, try lighter lures, and casting into the wind. knowing what brakes and spool tension to set on your reel in different situations helps immensely. With lighter lures or wind, I put it on the lowest brake setting, and like magic, MOST (not all) of the backlashes dissappear.

If you're gonna baitcast, you're gonna backlash, figuring out how to undo them efficiently is your biggest battle.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be given it some practice over the next few weeks. Hopefully I can master it.

I'll second the suggestion from rubber duck. It helps, makes a big difference and saves time unraveling if you get a backlash. Speaking from inexperienced experience.