• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steel 2x4

smontanye

Question

8 answers to this question

Speaking of steel studs for building fish houses, does anyone know if they sell steel 2x2's? I was thinking of using those instead of 2x4's for constructing my walls out of to get an extra 3 - 4 inches of interior room. Thanks..

why not just use wood studs? Are you worried about rot? I have a 6 1/2 x 12 that was built with 2 x 2's and couldnt be happier. I have had it for 6 years and their is no sign of rot and also steel will swet and leave sweat lines on your interior. Just a thought.

I was also thinking about the weight issue in that steel may have a slight advantage over wood. I was thinking that if 2x2's were used, there isn't a lot to nail into when you are nailing them to the top and bottom plates. I'm trying to get the lightest and strongest framework possible. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction though??

Try looking at the way motor home are constructed. 1x2 with glued sheathing inside and out. My buddy built a couple on 8 x 14' on wheels and they hold up great. Build the skeleton, glue and brad nail the INSIDE sheathing, do all your wiring,gas piping etc. from the outside. Then tightly fit 3/4" foam between studs, do exterior and your done. Hope this helps.

Fisher Ed,
They do make a 2"x2" metal stud, And the price should be alot cheaper than wood! The track is much cheaper than 2x plates. The big advantage is that they will always stay straight and never warp or rot like wood today!Will build a much straighter wall.There are different wall thickneses so be certain to purchase structual gauge as opposed to light weight if you are going to put a load on it! P.S don't use your good saw blade on um! I recomend carberendum.